Bariloche to Los Glaciares: Vistas and Mountains


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
February 10th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, leaving Bariloche with NO hard or mixed feelings, or in Henry´s words, "the road out of town, my favourite one"!! (insert Texan accent).

But again, parting without pain, as again the road gave some magnificent views on the lakes we passed, and from the eastern Side on the Andes as well.

We didn´t drive too far that day (not in mileage, just in hours), and ended up in a bus camp in one of the many National Parks (first pic). As you can see, it was well worth using the shovel for toilet stops that night, a really great place to camp. Maybe a bit windy, and the water wasn´t warm in any way, but that didn´t stop some of us (not me) to jump in for a quick dip.

Noice!

The road further south kept changing, from the mountain views in the morning, to the wide open plains in the afternoon. Strange, as we were heading for a national park with mountains and glaciers, and we seemed to be moving away from them !

But after another long drive, late in the afternoon we got closer and closer to Los Glaciares NP, and got closer and closer to some really spectacular views. Up to the point where we got to the northern lake (lago Viedma), and the first views of Mount (Cerro) Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre. You can see the photo for yourself.

Map of the area

From past experiences, and also the steep costs, Bin and myself opted for self guided day hikes, rather than very expensive ice hikes and boat trips. Having said that, as a first, the people who did do the paid excursions, if it only were for the fact they got to drink Baileys with actual glacier ice !

Nevertheless, our first walk was a day hike out to the valey with viewing points to Cerro Torre. Not too hard a walk, and fantastic weather! Late lunch by the glacier lake, a short walk along the lake for some more views of the glacier, and a quick hike back.

Next day, we did the hike out to the Fitz Roy viewing platform (rather than the long one out to the glacier) with an extra loop along the lake. The weather was a bit less great, and Mount Fitz Roy was covered in it´s own private cloud all day long. But still, a great walk, with great views, some funny birds (red headed woodpeckers) etc etc.

At the end, well deserved, a couple of blondes (beers that is) at the local brewery.

The morning of our departure was a bit hastier than planned, as gale force winds swept through the camp site, and we had to pack up in a rush without breakfast. Mmmmm, mungo not happy.....

The ride wasn´t too long though, back along Lago Viedma, along the eastern side going south, and then back along Lago Argentina towards El Calafate. Back in a hostel bed again, yeah !!!!!







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb