El Calafaten: Glaciers, mountains, glaciers.... and a few nasty gusts of wind....


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
February 11th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Apart from the break in camping, and having a bed to sleep in again for 2 nights, we had a tour of the national park in the comfort of our own truck. With a guide though, to get some background info on the park, the vegetation, and the wildlife... or lack thereof.

The tour brought us towards the Perito Moreno Glacier, where we hopped onto a cruise alonge the front of the glacier. Not sure if "cruise" is suitable for a boat that takes of, slides along the front of the glacier, and then turns back.

Nevertheless, we probably still had a lucky day, as plenty of ice shells came breaking of the glacier, with a cannonade of noize, and thundering into the lake below. Quite spectacular in every way. A short hike towards the side of the glacier, with the paved trail, also gave some spectacular views of the massive glacier.


By this time we´ve also gotten used to all the none South America travellers who didn´t just pack their bags, but also their own motorcycles, 4WDs, vans, and even mini trucks, to tour the continent. Apparently it´s an insurance nightmare here to drive a (rental) vehicle from one country to another. By the time you´ve figured it all out, it´s much faster, and cheaper, to ship or own wheels out..... strange but true.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb