El Califate and the All Glacier Tour


Advertisement
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
April 2nd 2014
Published: April 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Glaciers Galore and Icebergs Aplenty I was lashed by freezing wind and occasional horizontal rain, but I couldn't leave the deck of our big catamaran, The Patagonia--there was magic everywhere! Gliding by us, all around were icebergs from the size of toy boats to cruise ships. They'd been wind- and water-sculpted into a myriad of fanciful, hulking and anthropomorphic shapes. I saw birds,... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




4th April 2014
layers into infinity

Wow
This is one of the most stunning glacier/nature photos I've seen! Great photography, Tara. You must have discovered some new shades of blue here. ;)
4th April 2014
layers into infinity

Shades of blue
Indeed, Michelle, so many blues and amazing shapes, I was quite willing to freeze my tail off! Thanks so much for your compliments for my photos.
4th April 2014

WOW! WOW! WOW!
Fabulous, must even be worth getting cold for.
4th April 2014

Icebergs in Kauai?
That you might be willing to get cold for these views says something! Glad you enjoyed, Miriam.
4th April 2014

Bravo!
Spectacular photographs! Beautifully written. Loved what you said about sunsets, "...and I almost understood why people arise for them." I'm not a morning person either. Lol.
4th April 2014

Sunsets anytime!
Glad to meet another person who admires sunsets more than those painful early morning treats! Thanks for your kind words, Matthew.
4th April 2014

Fabulous, as usual!
Your blogs are always amazing and I thoroughly enjoy them. Keep it up. And your pictures! Wow!
4th April 2014

Thanks Roger!
I must admit it feels good to be sharing again--glad you enjoyed this one!
4th April 2014

Great Pictures, Great Story
Oh Tara, this brought back memories of doing the same glacier trip. Your pictures are amazing. It was nice to look at them and hear your voice in my head as I read your blog. Icebergs often remind me of cotton candy with their color and unusual shapes.
5th April 2014

Cotton candy bergs
That's a great image, Brendan! I'm so glad you got to do this cruise, and that we got to meet so you could hear my voice in my head! Thanks for commenting!
5th April 2014
big boat dwarfed by glacier

Dancing with icebergs
Great shot I presume of Spegnazzini with a Glacier wall over 100 metres tall...speeding between icebergs at breakneck speed...every shape and size. Gotta agree the Upsala Cruise is a Do Not Miss. The way Argentina and Chile manage their National Parks and make them accessible to tourism is a lesson to the rest of the world...and as usual you are there to enjoy them...lucky Tara.
5th April 2014
big boat dwarfed by glacier

Dancing with icebergs, indeed!
It did feel like that, David, as we wafted together and past each other--a beautiful dance. Yes, this is probably Spegnazzini though the other bergs at about 60 meters were pretty formidable, too. I must say that visiting parks is a highlight of any journey--lucky me, indeed. I look forward to your blog on these big bergs!
21st April 2014
layers into infinity

Oh my-- Stunning
The blues and greens blend into something superb! Whipped by the wind and rain....reminds me of a couple of days on the Irish coast. ha! Even so we love traveling off season. Photo fantastic once again.
22nd April 2014
layers into infinity

Thanks, Merry Jo!
These were amazing colors and shapes. Patagonia is unique. And like you, I love traveling in the off-season--no crowds, no reservations.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb