PERITO AND CALAFATE


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
April 14th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in very cold Calafate. Gareth and Hinesh was to catch the next bus to Rio Gallegos so we separated ways in tme main street. I wanted to go to America del Sur hostel i follwed the directions from the map posted in the bus station but I got confused and lost and have been looking for it for 30 minutes walking withquite heavy pack, got annoyed, then decided to try the hill, and that was the right street. I dont understand why they dont post a sign before going up the hill that will make it easy for people to find them, and to add insult to injury, the hostel is full! I was offered a bed in the 2nd floor where the lounge is for 20 pesos but bo privacy and can only really sleep at 12mn when everyonhas to vacate the area, I said no and they were kind enough to find me a hostel nearby. Nakel Yenu is the name of the hostel, not bad but the heater was not that good in the dorm room and it is freezing here. Decided to internet for a bit since they have wifi then another backpacker came along, Mathias from Buenos Aires, very friendly guy and his last name is Mendoza! same as my middle name. We got along very quickly, working in a hotel in BA his English is very good, we both decide to go to Perito Moreno glacier that afternoon, 2pm is when the bus leaves from the station without a guide, which is ok. We barely made it. Lots of people, one is a group with their own guide. Mathias and I fell asleep quickly, he flew and is a bit tired and i have had lots of early mornings lately.

People got dropped off at the boat station for those wanting to do it, we opted to go straight to the mirador. It has changed since I was last here, the walkway is new. I was starving as I have not eaten lunch yet, no time. It is quite windy and cold and we shiver as we follow the walkway and take pictures, the colors of autumn made it much better. We stayed here for a good 3 to 4 hours, we sat in the restaurant and I had lunch while Mathias craving for mate asked the lady next to us if he
RIO LEONARIO LEONARIO LEONA

BUTCH CASSIDY
can have some, mate is really addictive to the Argentines.7pm weall got back to the bus and of we go, dark was already in when we arrived in town and we looked for a locutorio so Mathias can make calls ten back to hostel and look for food, Anonima is closed byt the time we got there so we ate empanadas and beer from a small bakery.

Took the bus to Puerto Natales, Chile the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

RIO LEONARIO LEONA
RIO LEONA

BUTCH CASSIDY
RIO LEONARIO LEONA
RIO LEONA

BUTCH CASSIDY
EL CALAFATEEL CALAFATE
EL CALAFATE

HANESH AND GARETH


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb