Patagonia....here we come!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
January 10th 2008
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are....it´s hard to believe that we are really on this trip of ours that we´ve been planning now for several months. We get so used to life wherever we are so quickly. It seemed normal to us to be walking the streets of Buenos Aires the past few days, as if not much had changed. I guess that means we´re adaptable people!

We were quite exhausted after flying and crashed soon after we arrived at our guest house in Buenos Aires. This is all after arriving in 90+ degree weather, riding a city bus for 2.5hours, and walking for 30minutes to our guest house carrying our trekking packs as well as our packs for Patagonia. That was quite a shock to us. Figuring out the travel always takes so long but is part of the journey that we are beginning to enjoy.

After we sweat the 3 days off in Buenos Aires, taking long walks, eating lots of great food like empanadas/pizza/lomito/helado, and enjoying a tango show, we departed for El Calafate, our current location. The weather here is quite a bit cooler (60) and much appreciated. We are so glad to be back in the cool mountain air. We are excited to get to Torres del Paine park tomorrow and start our 8-day hike, seeing spectacular scenery.

I am learning to let go of control and turn my worries and frustrations over to God frequently. Things don´t always go as planned, but God has provided the right people and situations and just the perfect times so that there´s no need for me to worry.

Ben here....I wanted to say how incredible Heather is with her "poco" Spanish. I would have been terrified to try and buy a ticket from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janiero with a day lay over in Igauzu from an agent that spoke only Spanish...she handled it like a pro. She´s saved the day many a time and I´m always shocked when someone rattles off a monologue of Spanish and she´s smiling, noding, and saying "Si". I ask what he said and find that she understood nothing. I guess a smile and a nod never hurt and even I know what "Si" means.

I never knew it was possible to sweat so profusely doing absolutely nothing....trying to remain motionless to avoid the least exertion and wondering if I peed the bed or if that´s just sweat? I would have paid dearly for a fan and missed the whole night of sleep before flying to this lovely Southern land of El Calafate where the cool wind blows and humidity is seldom seen.

Sorry no pictures but we will be gone the next 8 days taking many pictures of the park just to share with you. Thanks for thinking of us...more next week.

Advertisement



15th January 2008

You got this right on!
Heather...this has to be one of be best quotes ever. "I am learning to let go of control and turn my worries and frustrations over to God frequently. Things don´t always go as planned, but God has provided the right people and situations and just the perfect times so that there´s no need for me to worry. r...this has to be one of be best quotes ever. " I'm really happy that you guys have God in your life and on your trip. I can't wait to hear more and see some pictures. God Speed, Old Fart AKA - Jason
19th January 2008

Can't wait for pictures
What an adventure! I think of you often and will enjoy keeping up with you on your blog. - Cyn
20th January 2008

We miss you!
Hi Heather and Ben, Good morning! Krista, Gloria, Crystal and I just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and hope you are having a fabulous time! Be safe and at the same time let loose and have fun!! Think of our theme song everytime you miss work. Have a "crazy" good time! We have lots more snow. It has been 7 degrees the past few days begining to warm up. ~Deanna, Krista, Gloria, and Crystal
21st January 2008

Trip Dream Come True
So glad to hear about your exciting trip! And to keep up with it. Living each day to the fullest is a simple but profound concept. So glad you two realize that when time for prayer and meditation of the Word is abundant through the day by being God conscious every hour, connection with him helps us be "wise as a serpent, harmless as a Dove."Mt.10:16 .....Love, Aunt Linda
24th January 2008

Great blog!
This is so great that you guys are sharing your trip with all of us (less fortunate, non-travelling ones). It's so much fun to read the funny little moments of your trip and the things you are seeing and learning. I look forward to future posts, and know that Tiffany and I are thinking of you and missing you!! Can't wait to see you when you get home. Have a WONDERFUL time!! (I know you will)

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb