Perito Moreno Glacier


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
February 8th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took off mid-morning to head to Perito Moreno Glacier. Along the way we picked up a couple of hitchhikers heading that way: one was from Chile, he spoke English, and the other was from Columbia. During our conversations I teased about the impression we have that Columbia is full of drug Cartels. The Columbian informed me, through the help of the Chilean that every country has a few bad apples but most people are good and the country itself is beautiful.
The drive to the glacier takes about an hour and half. The last half of the trip is slow due to being on dirt roads that are winding along the shores of Lake Argentina. The Perito Moreno Glacier is very impressive: 5 kilometers in width and 60 meter in height. I think this is one of the few glaciers in the world that is not shrinking but growing. They have built wood walkways to allow for good viewing access. There are several large viewing areas along the wooden walkways.
We would hear the cracking of the ice, it is a roar, but we never witnessed any large ice chunks falling. We saw many little ice pieces falling; at least
Perito Moreno glacier-Perito Moreno glacier-Perito Moreno glacier-

The big piece fell off - off course I did not capture the moment.
they look little from our viewpoint. We did see the aftermath of a larger piece and the waves it created in the water. There are many icebergs floating around as evidence of the “calving” that occurs on a daily basis.
One neat thing happened: a condor flew over us while we were gazing at the glacier. Scott got a great look at it, me only a partial.
I think anyone who is in the area should go to Perito Moreno Glacier. I do not think the town of El Calafate needs more than a day. I would suggest get there, see the glacier and then move on.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb