Salta & around


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
August 18th 2003
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hostel PatrasHostel PatrasHostel Patras

need a ride?
Salta is the capital city of the Argentine province of Salta, located on the Valle de Lerma 1152 meters above sea level.

Nicknamed in Spanish as Salta la Linda ("Salta the Beauty"), it is visited by a great many tourists because of its colonial architecture, a number of museums, but also because it's the starting point of the "Train to the Clouds" (Tren a las nubes) and to red-soiled Cafayate, as well as to other nearby tourist destinations. Throughout the province, trekking and rafting, climbing and bungee jumping are also practiced. From Salta we made trips to Valle de la luna and Tren a las nubes.



To the West of Salta, the Puna's arid high plain with salty lakes (Arizaro, Pocitos) has few inhabitants, and its main city is San Antonio de los Cobres.

High snowy Andean peaks lower to the North-east and hold valleys such as Quebrada del Toro, Valles Calchaquíes and the Lerma Valley. This is the most tightly inhabited area, and where the Salta city is found. The climate of the area is of hot summers (average of 23 °C with peaks of 40 °C) and cold winters with temperatures below freezing point.

To the east, near the Gran Chaco area, the more humid subtropical climate is home to the Yungas jungle in the El Rey National Park.


Salta Province is located at a geological active region, and suffers from occasional earthquakes. Fairly destructive occurred in 1692 and 1948.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

valle de la Lunavalle de la Luna
valle de la Luna

The whims of erosive forces have sculpted strange formations in the sandstone such as in the locality called "Ciudad Perdida".
Ischigualasto Provincial ParkIschigualasto Provincial Park
Ischigualasto Provincial Park

Because this remote valley's bizarre eroded formations and soaring cliffs harbor the only unbroken record yet discovered that spans the entire Triassic period, when dinosaurs first appeared (and suddenly took over the world for the next 160 million years), and when mammals, too, made their much more modest debut.
Talampaya national parkTalampaya national park
Talampaya national park

Talampaya is in the low sierras of western La Rioja and contains important geological formations such as the canyon with vertical red sandstone walls some 150m high, formed by the Talampaya River. "Huayquerias" as they are called, support nothing but sparse and small fleshy-leaved plants.
moonmoon
moon

i'm so small
Tren a Las NubesTren a Las Nubes
Tren a Las Nubes

Train of the Clouds is open all Saturdays from April to November. The rest of the year it is replaced by the Safari to the Clouds (4x4 trucks), Salinas Grandes y Purmamarca are included in the journey. This was the trip we made. We went to the viaduct La Polvorilla, ascending up to 4,220 metres above the sea level. We traveled 220 km crossing valleys, canyons and the Puna and went through places like the Quebrada del Toro, the zigzag of Alisal station and the La Polvorilla viaduct.
Salinas GrandesSalinas Grandes
Salinas Grandes

The vast difference in height and climate in Jujuy produces desert areas such as the Salinas Grandes salt mines.
Salinas GrandesSalinas Grandes
Salinas Grandes

my new salty friend
Quebrada de HumahuacaQuebrada de Humahuaca
Quebrada de Humahuaca

Quebrada de Humahuaca cannon of heights between 1,000 and 3,500 meters.
LlamaLlama
Llama

another new friend!
schoolschool
school

right there, in the clouds.
kidskids
kids

caramelos, por favor!
San Salvador de JujuySan Salvador de Jujuy
San Salvador de Jujuy

The population of the city, and of the province in general, has a much more aboriginal character than the in rest of the country, reflected in the predominant Quechua, Aymara and Chiriguano people and cultures.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb