Too little time to write and too much going on


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
September 10th 2005
Published: September 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I am having a really great time, Finally found a place that has computers that will allow me to write on the blog site. I will try to update you all.
We are around Salta now. The day after the last entry we booked a tour of the north. We wanted to go on the train to the clouds but it is not possibile and will likely not be possible for some time. Turns out the train engine broke down in a place that they had to evacuate people out until four in the morning, Very Unhappy tourists, that about two months ago. The town was not so happy the operators, so they have to really fix the engine and that may take some time here. Its in the middle of no where.

So the tour companys are trying to drive some of the route. This however, makes for a very long day on a tour bus. We left at 7 and returned at eight thirty. The poor Brits in the back of the bus got to the point towards the end of the trip, that they really did not want to get back on. The tour was mostly Brits, two very in love french, one spanish girl, and two out of love germans. Katheryn, got a nice seat because of her hieght so I was sat beside the German couple.
The scenery on trip wa very desert like it was dry. We first checked out where the rail line ran. It would have been an amazing trip but it was expensive 70, dollars so maybe just as well. There tracks are at really great hieghts. I can only imagine what it was like getting stuck there. We checked out some riums the were pre inca. They were ok, However, the ones in Peru are more amazing. But I was suprized to learn they had some here. Mostly artfully place rocks. One has to wonder the world here must have been very different then.

We then stopped for lunch in a small town. I at this point in the trip have not caught up with sleep. So two coffes later still tired. Back into the van.... Two hours later, we arrived at the salt mines. On the way there I spent some time talking to the German couple the women had spent some time working in Argentina and had very seriously fallen in love with the country. I can totallly understand. her and her boyfriend are students in Agriculture in Germany so she was doing a project with trying to get the locals to grow more Vegetables. She has been the only Vegetarian we have meet here. She mostly cooks for herself. We also spot some vacinas, Wild Limas. The country side was beatuful.

We arrived at the salt mines It was a really tripy place. White desert with water to process the salt just below the surface. The people there get 13 pasos per ton of salt all hand dug. A seriously hard way to make a living. They tryed to make extra money so they built a restuarant made of salt. The whole thing is salt. They dont have to worry about rain here. However, they have not been able to open it, because they cannot build a bathroom. We stopped there and the bathrrom was a hole in the ground. So it really did not cut it with the health code here. After photos and walking around for about and hour back in the busfor another long ride.
We then stopped and a small pictureque town and checked out some mountians which supposely were seven colors. It was pretty.

We then arrived back to the Hostel. and there was a big BBQ that night but being argentina these things happen at about 11: 00 PM. It was scheduled for 9:30. So there was alot of drinking before hand. They also BBQ some vegetables. We hung out with the group we traveled with that day. The three large Brit guys who were stuck in the back of the bus and the German couple. We talked about sort of doing our own tour to the wine region. Kateryn and I wanted to get a little exercise. The german Couple was game to go with us if we could arrange it.

It was a really nice BBQ and it was fun socializing with the group. We have been the only americans here. Everyone likes to get on the George Bush subject, they hate him.- No auguement from me. They also cannot believe the images of Katrina in New Orleans. They said that thought the US was a first world country. I also cannot understand it myself so I canĀ“t explain how it could have happened. From everyones perspective we the USA. appears so inept to deal with it.

I was exhalsed so we headed back to the hostel. The following day involved making arrangements for our own tour, with the Germans. I am several days behind so more later, Just needed to catch up. More later. Wish I could write while I waste so much time on the buses. but Oh well it is part of the adventure too. More later Rebecca



Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb