Rosario - Argentina v Brazil, World Cup!!!!!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Rosario de la Frontera
September 24th 2009
Published: September 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Quick beer & food stopQuick beer & food stopQuick beer & food stop

litre of Quilmes & a Chori-Pan
So, Saturday 5th September finally arrived, the big match, Argentina v Brazil in a World Cup Qualifier.

I met my bus at 10am after waking up far too early, and began the long drive up to Rosario. There were a good few buses going up, and i was put with a group af Americans who were a good laugh, but knew little about football, or soccer.

The drive was about 5 hours and we stopped half way at a roadside cafe / services. As did hundreds of other fans. It was a cool place, with a huge BBQ outside where i grabbed a huge Choripan (Chorizo Sausage on Crusty Cob) and an even bigger lager. We carried on for another hour before being pulled over by some heavily armed Argentinian Officers who searched us all before letting us on our merry way!

The ground was a very old intimidating concrete structure, the main reason Maradona changed from River Plate. They needed to win, and thought this would put the Brazilians off.

We arrived around 3pm, and with kick-off not till 9.30pm, we had a lot of time to mooch around. Rosario looked very nice, shame i had no real time for a proper look around. We headed to the ground around 5, as we knew the queue's would be big, and they were, huge. The atmosphere was incredible outside, thousands of fans running for a sneaky way in, hundreds of the meanest looking heavily armed police officers / soldiers trying to keep order, and some amazing food on offer.

Finaly got in the stadium by 7.30, found my seat, and happily watched the crazy Argy fans going wild, 2 hours before kick off. I soon realised it was another alcohol free stadium, so consoled myself with a Coke. The players finally came on to warm up and the Brazilian goalkeeper was treated to a smoke bomb thrown at him which exploded right by his feet and nearly deafened me. He didn't look too happy about it. When the 2 teams came out the sound was deafening, best atmosphere i've seen. I also got to see Argentina's greatest ever goalkeeper, Ubaldo Matildo Fillol, who watched the game infront of me. He walked in and the place went crazy, and everyone parted for him, apart from me who had no idea who he was, so kinda blocked the route to his seat.

During the Brazil National Anthem, the Argy fans treated the visiting fans (a tiny amount of them crammed into the corner) to a huge rocket fired from one end of the stadium right into their section... they don't mess about round here!

So, the game finally got underway, and Argentina had by far the better of it, Messi is simply the greatest player in the world by a country mile.

However, after 24 minutes Elano (recently sold by the idiot that is Mark Hughes) delived a typically masterful ball into the box and a free Luisao nodded it home. This sparked the home fans into song, and it was deafening. Well, for 5 minutes anyway, when Elano (Again, hat's off Mr Hughes), struck a deflected free kick which found its way eventually to Luis Fabiano to put Brazil 2 up and silence the home fans.

The Argy's were booed off at half time, and i was straight up for another huge Choripan with selection of toppings and salads before the second half. Argentina started brightly again and it paid off as in the 65th minute Dalato scored a 30 yard screamer. I had a great view of it and could tell straight away it was in.

Game on, the place was going wild, flares, rockets, songs, banners, the lot. Until 2 minutes after when Kaka fed Luis Fabiano with a great ball, who lifted it over the keeper to make it 3-1!

Despite the scoreline, Messi still strolls past players so easily it's amazing. Full time is greeted with a few boo's, then some good singing, then a huge fight. This match had it all, apart from booze, but still........
Great day, it cost me a small fortune for the ticket, but well worth every penny!

We made it back to the bus just after midnight, and i settled in for a long drive back to BA........


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Ubaldo Matildo Fillol Ubaldo Matildo Fillol
Ubaldo Matildo Fillol

Argentina's Greatest ever goalkeeper


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb