Conquering the Devil´s Throat and being Miss Anti Social


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Cafayate
July 23rd 2008
Published: July 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Okay, the symbols on this keyboard aren't actually what is on this keyboard... and it's tripping me out! I am currently in Iguazu and have a lot of back blogging to do... SO... my next day, the journey to Cafayate...

Off of 15 minutes of sleep, which I thought was 30, I piled onto the bus and sat in the front so that I would have some room for myself. Diego, the guide, saw me as a complete mess and conintued to help me out. I only got 15 minutes (Which my roommate told me upon his return the next day). And I am sure I am somewhere between drunk and hungover. He gave me his sympathies and continued to check in with me. I talked to an Irish girl and a German girl who had the same feeling. The Irish girl and her friend and I were the antisocial bunch. I just turned on my ipod and slept a little bit (100 pesos to the person who can guess what I've been listening to... it might be pretty obvious if you read my facebook profile). I tried not to sleep too much becuse I didn't want to miss the scenery. I also thought about the people I hung out with the night before and how dearly I would miss them. I've met some amazing people along the way and have been extremely fortunate. People always ask me what it's like traveling alone. Do you ever get lonely? Not really. I've been doing a good job going up to people and talking to them. I've also been doing a good job giving time to myself. It's always a balance I've appreciated. Luckily, I am continuing to meet amazing people in Iguazu and will be meeting up with Rebecca in Buenos Aires. It'll be nice to have a dose of home at the end of my trip... but I digress...

Since I was not even thinking that morning, I slipped on brown sneakers and at least changed my shirt. Bad idea on the sneakers! We stopped at several places along the way and took some incredible photos. We stopped in a small town and I had to wake up. Then we proceeded to the Garganta del Diablo (devil's throat) along the Quebrada de Cafayate. Diego told us we were going to climb the structure. Normally, I would be incredibly excited. However, off of 15 minutes of sleep and street shoes, I was less than thrilled. The garganta del Diablo is a structure that used to be a waterfall until something happened to the land formation and climate that prvevented it from being a true waterfall. So up I climbed. It was quite exhilarating. There were places that I was so afraid that I would fall and sleep because my shoes had obviously no grip. However, Diego saw that I was less than prepared and guided me through the tough slants. Although I didn't want to keep going because I was afraid I would slip on the rocks and fall to a tortuous death, I decided to continue. I made it to the highest part you could, took some photos and made my way down. Climbing down was interesting. I spent most of it crabstyle and watched my footing. I slid on my butt for part of the time, which was not good, considering I had gone horseback riding the day before. I finally made my way down, and a guy from Rosario, Argentina said that he was amazed at how fast I had made it up and climbed down. I went back in the van and told everyone-- That was SOOO fun! I'm awkae n ow! And I truly was. I felt that after that I could accomplish anything. Except my body and my mind were exhaustd, so I did not want to be social. I truly just wanted to be alone, which was hard on a tour bus. We continued and stopped at a few more places along the way.

A few things about the structures-- THEY ARE AMAZING! Absolutely AMAZING! They really are natural and due to the erosion look like castles, windows, etc. I can't wait to share the photos!

We finally arrived in Cafayate and had lunch as well as some time to walk around the town. The town was small and quaint with very little going on. Its famous for wines and wine ice-cream (which is good, but interesting). I walked around some of the shops and bought some earrings to add to my earring collection. (Im trying to get some earrings from each town I go to). Then I sat in the warm sunshine in the middle of the square and reflected on the last 2/3 of my journey. It has gone by so fast. I had felt things I have never felt before or thought I would ever feel (WICKED-- feeling things i've never felt). I thought about how much I had grown and how much growing I still needed to do. I thought about all the people that have helped me along the way on this trip and in my life. And some important people who I will never see again. Maybe it's all that talk with Evin and Jill in the past two days about the important people I had lost in my life that led me to this. And then, I was reminded of Wicked again (needless to say, I LOVE that musical). For a moment, my heart started to cry for all the people that I had met and how they had woven a tapestry on my heart. And my heart became overjoyed with all the people who are awaiting my return back in the states to embrace me and remind me how wonderful I truly am. For a moment, my heart started to cry and then I startd to cry. I felt like Cameron Diaz in the Holiday (as you know, I am NOT much of a crier) when she first cried. I realized that as guarded as I am, I am not quite the ice queen as I proclaim myself to be. I do feel things. I just deny that I feel them. And in that moment, I realized that it's okay to be open, to let people in. To fall apart-- what's the point in being so strong anyway? I remembered that to love at all is to be vulnerable. As people have told me I am caring and have a huge heart, it might be time that I allow myself to be vulnerable.

I never thought I would include such personal growth in my blog... it was all just supposed to be sights and sounds and feelings about the places I go to. But I know those who are reading this would want to hear about all the growing I am doing.

See... i'm trying to let msyelf be vulnerable. I'm trying to break down that Glass House.

After sitting in the square, we went to a few wineries in Cafayate. The weather was perfect for wine tasting, but I didn't drink that much. I think my favorite wine might be a good zin (from Bella wineries). But I have yet to try all the wines of the world and hope to do that on day.

After our winetasting, we headed to the amphitheater-- a natural strcture with the world's best acoustics. There was a band playing w hile I was there and it sounded amazing. It would be a great place to hear Gina sing!

I am still in awe of the beauty of the landscape. It was truly breathtaking and one of the best days ever.

I headed back, hoping to find an empty room, but found a pack in it. My game plan that evening was to snack, shower, blog as much as I could and sleep. LOTS of sleep. That's why I had hoped to be in the room by myself.

As I waited for th computer I met my roommate-- Tom from Holland. We happened to be going on the same tour the next day, so we were going to make sure we were both up. And finally, a night's rest after the longest day of my life.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb