biking in bariloche


Advertisement
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wowie!

well we have officially made it into argentina! (this keyboard does exclamation points... so brace yourselves!) we are in bariloche, argentina. beautiful does not even begin to decribe this place! google it... it is unreal! rocky spires, unreal ranges, crystal blue lakes, lush green forests... ah-mazing!

we took a bus from puerto montt to bariloche through the andes which was as the crow flys only around three hours but with winding roads and boarder crossings it was around eight. we made it across the boarder without any hassle at all... in fact our bags didn´t even get touched. that night we found ourselves a nice little pizzaria... pizza is big here. the local specialities are trout and boar... we had boar pizza...which was actually quite nice... aly and i joked with nick that we would describe it as "ham but gamey".... wild boar... good one girls...anyway we wandered the town that night and also found a nice little place to get gilato.... delicious (mine was raspberry and chocolate)... the other amazing thing about bariloche is that there are outdoor gear shops and chocolate shops EVERWHERE! almost every corner has one or both!... i think i have found heaven...

the next morning we felt a bit crummy after all that eating so we decided to go for a run to the bus depot to buy our tickets to el calafate (27 hours away). it is a nice place to run since there is a trail that goes around the lake. we ended up buying our tickets for tomorrow morning and we are riding "super-cama"... full bed for an extra 30 pesos.... we figured it was worth the extra $7.50 canadian...

today we decided that we would rent bikes to go around one of the lakes here... it was beautiful! it was around 27kms and was full of hills!! i keep bugging aly that she tried to kill me on one of her bootcamp death workouts... anyway it was well worth it! we biked through view point after viewpoint and made friends with a nice german girl named, anne who set the pace the whole time, (she was a tank). i will try to post pictures of the ride sometime... unfortunately all of the hostel computers i have been using are so slow and chalk full of garbage programs from other people that it makes the process painfully slow!

anyway all is well. aly and i are headed to the grocery store to pic up a bottle of wine, cheese, crackers and fruit for our bus trip south...since we are sleeping first class on this one!

love you all! thinking of you!

-monica

Advertisement



8th February 2011

Sounds Perfect!
Chocolate, pizza, biking, and traveling first class with a bed and wine - what more could you ask for? Anxiously awaiting pictures!
8th February 2011

Butt Family Heaven!
Chocolate Shops, pizza, gear shops, biking, mountains and lakes...Butt Family Heaven!!!!
9th February 2011

points.....
less exclamation points than I was expecting.......somewhat disappointed...

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb