On the road to El Bolson


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Río Negro » El Bolsón
December 7th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lake MascardiLake MascardiLake Mascardi

Pretty average spot for a swim on a hot day.
So we finally left our cabaña in Bariloche on Friday arvo, with Santiago (our landlord for a week) there to bid us farewell. After a giant hug (like the kind my dad gives me) we waved goodbye and wobbled our way down the drive. Panniers on mountain bikes feel different, plus it was Phil's maiden voyage with the loaded Bob (Beast of Burden Ibex trailer).

Our first day was what cycle touring is all about: watching the incredible scenery slowly unfold around us, a couple of swims and a siesta in stunning locations, and the suprise of finding a tiny restaurant that sold empanadas and beer right where we wanted to stop. Awaiting us at Rio Manso, a couple of wobbly Km's beyond the restaurant, was the most amazing campground ever. Our lack of spanish shows through at times like these as the only person around was the owner of the campground, an interesting guy who built the great communual hall himself. We're sure he had lots of stories to tell but alas not in English. As he said many times, "no problema".

Our early start in order to beat the heat didn't quite happen so we were happy when we finally rolled into El bolson, and it's annual jazz festival. At the campground, we found that a lack of hot water in the showers isn´t a problem after cycling in 30+ degrees. The festival added to the already laidback nature of the town, and was the perfect backdrop to our obligatory empanadas and a cold bottle of Quilmes, the popular beer available everywhere in 1 litre bottles for about 5 peso ($2.50 ish).

This last week has been clouded by the fact that my Nana C (KJ´mum´s mum) has been slowly slipping away, and being overwhelmed with this strong sense of urgency to be updated and check my emails and phone home no matter how difficult (and believe me sometimes it is). It is never easy being away from home at these times and yet unfortunately it´s my second cycling trip when a grandparent has passed away. My brother says I´m not allowd to go away again!

Jean Eliza Clearwater - Nana C - I´m glad your at peace. I´m wishing I was back at home with everyone right now.

Hopefully now I can focus a bit more on our trip and stop leaving various
Mmmm, cerbeza.Mmmm, cerbeza.Mmmm, cerbeza.

After riding for hours in the hot sun, a place like this in the middle of nowhere is a very pleasant suprise.
parts of my much reduced sponge bag about the place.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The best campground everThe best campground ever
The best campground ever

No screaming kids, no bogans, infact no-one but the owner and a great campsite next to the picturesque Rio Manso.


9th December 2008

Hey guys you are doing it!!! all that planning, packing, painting, worrying - you are on the road! plus you are bringing a little bit of exotic excitement to my office every few days... :) Choice.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb