Argentinos Juniors v Newell's Old Boys


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 8th 2012
Published: December 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Gracias a DiegoGracias a DiegoGracias a Diego

Diego in the Argentinos colors
Last weekend was the final round of matches in the Apertura Season and I went to the Estadio Diego Armando Maradona in the La Paternal Barrio to see the Argentinos Juniors v Newell's game. Argentinos was Diego's first profesional club and his prescence is everywhere in and around the stadium. Argentinos were originally founded as the 'Martyrs of Chicago' in homage to the anarchists that were imprisoned or hanged following the haymarket riot in Chicago in 1886. The clubs ability to produce world class players such as Maradona, Riquelme, Redondo, Julio Arca, Coloccini and Cambiasso has seen them been given the nickname 'El Semillero' (the seed garden).



Argentinos have not had the best of seasons and in the week leading up to the game some local newspapes had reported that the Bravas had been threatening the Argentinos players during the training sessions. The match had an end of season feel about it. The scorching afternoon heat didn't help matters either. Newell's (with the unfortunate acronym of NOB) clearly looked the better side and were 2-0 up at halftime despite also missing a penalty. Midway through the second half Argentinos pulled a goal back through their Ecuadorian striker and for a moment it looked game-on especially when they brought on their allegedly prolific fat striker with 15 mins to go. However the fat striker was stretchered off after only 30 seconds when he fell awkwardely and as he was the third sub Argentinos were down to 10 men. Newell's took advantge and scored again to make it 3-1. After the match we saw some of the Bravas hanging around outside the stadium to have a quiet word with the players as they left.

Well, thats all for this season which Velez won. The next season, the Clausura starts in February 10 2013.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Maradona shirtMaradona shirt
Maradona shirt

Maradonna's first AJ shirt


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb