Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
April 12th 2008
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So what do you do if your an under paid teacher looking for better conditions?
Obvious isn't it, you set up a road block on the only road into town and don't let anyone pass including foot traffic. Well thats what happens in Argentina as we have found out.
We arrived at Puerto Iguazu airport yesterday to find out we could not get a taxi into town to our hotel and so took the only option which was to head straight to the falls and leave our backpack in lockers. As it turned out chance gave us this great oppertunity and instead of wasting time in town we were able to explore the falls with less crowds and plenty of time.
Wow what an amazing sight this is!! If your were ever to imagine falling from the end of the earth then this would be the place. From the top you can only hear the thundering sound and from a distance what appears as smoke on the horizon is actually the spray and mist created by the huge quantity of water powering over the falls.
This is all within the setting of a 2100km2 of rain forest. As we looked at
More FallsMore FallsMore Falls

Water water every where..
the rainbows which identify this pot of gold we were surrounded in most amazing number of colourful butterflys.
Well worth the visit to this northern tip of Argentina which is placed right on the boarder of Brazil and Paraguay.
After spending the day exploring the falls and trails including an encounter with a coatis (small biting raccoon type animal) we headed out of the park with crowds of other backpackers wondering if we would be able to get passed the road block and not have to spend the night under the stars. As our overflowing bus headed toward town we were suddenly stopped by several km's of cars buses and trucks. This was to be the exit point from the bus and the start of our mammoth walk carrying all of possessions (good time to reflect on what else we could have left at home). Our timing was perfect on reaching the blockade as instead of putting our bullrush skills to the test the block was opened for several mins to let a handful of people through. So through we charged only with our new friends only to find we were still 5kms from town. Then just like a mirage
How much furtherHow much furtherHow much further

whos teaching who a lesson
in the desert we turned the corner to see the most amazing hostel you could imagine. Drenched in sweat as the mercury was hitting mid 30s we were faced with the sight of a huge pool teaming with young traveler drinking beers and listening to great tunes. The decision was not one that took us long to make and disregarding our reservation in town we charged in with fingers crossed to try our luck. And YES lady luck was with us, so 5mins later we were checking into an amazing room (complete with sky TV) and heading for the pool with beer in hand. What a feeling it was to kick back in the water as we watched on at the chaos we had just left on the road.
Today the blockade continues with no buses leaving and the skys have opened to torrential rain so we are happy chilling here and planning our next move which is likely to be Esteros Del Ibera National Park.
P.s. tip for the day is when say don't flush paper they mean it!! unblocking toliets ain't easy with limited tools!!!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Some Hostel eh!Some Hostel eh!
Some Hostel eh!

Club med of Hostels and our Oasis


14th April 2008

Just read up on web - sounds like you are headed for a special place - watch out for alligators! Love the description of teacher strikes - food for thought - wonder what traction that would get in NZ.
14th April 2008

hi matt and leanne
We've been reading re Iguazu Falls with envy - were there a few years ago and out of this world - but Macchu Piccu even better. Strange, it's often afterwards that the true magic appears. I though 'Bust!' when I saw there were no more 'next entries'! Such a great time then Sydney at the end - great!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb