A Looooong journey to some waterfalls


Advertisement
Published: October 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well... we decided that as we are now really hard core bus travellers... we could take the whole of Argentina in one go! Basically we´ve travelled from the far South to the very north-east (border with Brazil)... we left El Calafate on Monday at 12pm destined to arrive in Puerto Iguazu on Thursday at 12pm (all being well!!).

We took good old 3rd class bus for about 40 of the hours... 3rd class is still pretty good! Then we had 12 hours in Buenos Aires... and we wandered around feeling very unclean. But we had a nice meal and walked around to get the blood circulating.

We had a "this is a small world" experience in the bus station in Buenos Aires. We bumped into our lovely nun friend. She was one of the nuns running the orphanage in Sucre. She said that her father was from Argentina but she hadn´t mentioned that she would be visiting in the next few weeks. Really strange!!

and then set off FIRST CLASS for the 17 hours to Puerto Iguazu.... ahhh to travel first class everywhere. There were only 20 people upstairs... the chairs fully recline and what a lovely nights sleep we had. We had nice food and wine... then we even had Champagne during the movie. I must say though if we see "White Chicks" one more time I may cry... (3 times so far... )

Upon arrival in Puerto Iguazu I realised I didn´t know the address or the name of our accommodation... so we had to find an internet! Opps. It is sooooooooo hot and muggy here. After going from the land of glaciers to the land of jungle... bit of a shock!

We went to the Argentinian side of the Iguazu falls the next day. They are amazing! We spent the whole day walking around. There are so many different sections - the Garganta del Diablo is huge - apparently you get a better overall view of it from the Brazilian side but we don´t have time to go there.

We really loved the other falls... loads of falls in a line... not as huge and powerful as the Garganta one but so beautiful! We also went over to the San Martin island where you can view some of the falls better.

There are loads of Coati in the park too... and loads of signs saying "don´t feed the coatis... they bite... they´re wild animals" and then you get to a cafe area in the park and there are tourists feeding the coatis. Honestly!

The heat is a killer so we were really fadding towards the end.... on the walk back we passed the train and an insane Japanese man yelled "HELLO" (really really enthusiastically) - a nice normal middle aged man having one of those "I´m a tourist on a train and I´m so excited" moments!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Jumping Guinea Pig/Gerbil lookalikeJumping Guinea Pig/Gerbil lookalike
Jumping Guinea Pig/Gerbil lookalike

I don´t know what this animal is but it can sure as hell leap!!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb