· days left in Bs As!!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
May 29th 2005
Published: May 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Great veggies in Recoleta!Great veggies in Recoleta!Great veggies in Recoleta!

This is directly across from our apartment. All very fresh and good. Gray's been really good about cooking breakfast! Hope he keeps it up.
with only 3 days left in BA, we tried to see the last things on our list. We visited the President's House--The Pink House--(Casa Rosada), The Teatro Colon- one of the 5 best opera houses in the world (NY, Paris, Vienna, Milan, and BA), and roamed through another street fair at Recoleta. We also took some more pictures in the cemetary and I can't wait to print them!! Hope you enjoy the pictures. Our side trip to El Calafate and the glacier didn't pan out, so we will head to Bariloche on Wednesday, then on the Chile by boat. BA is the longest stay of our vacation, everyplace else is for 3, 4 or 5 days at a time. We're excited to move on, but sad to say good'by to our local favorite places. Guess we'll get over it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The President's HouseThe President's House
The President's House

About 4:00pm right before a big demonstration by people against actions of the President. Note the truck with machine guns on top. Security here is very informal. There are always many federal guards around the house, but they still let people roam about as they wish.
Palm Court of the President's HousePalm Court of the President's House
Palm Court of the President's House

He doesn't live here, but in a suburb somewhere. Comes to work every day. Except for 3 or 4 gorgeous rooms, it's pretty basic. The interior court though is fantastic. Only one president in their history has lived here. Very different from the White House! Also, some group bombed a part of it when Peron was President in an assignation attempt.
Kids touring the Prez's houseKids touring the Prez's house
Kids touring the Prez's house

There were several schools touring that day. Each group had on a different uniform, but were equally cute!
Tough job, but great clothes!Tough job, but great clothes!
Tough job, but great clothes!

There is a regular changing of the guard that stands in front of the Pink House.
Recoleta Street FairRecoleta Street Fair
Recoleta Street Fair

There are 100+ vendors at this fair which stretches around the cemetary and a long the sidewalks. It's around the corner from our apartment.
Taking a Mate BreakTaking a Mate Break
Taking a Mate Break

Everyone takes a mate break and breaks out the thermos and mate cups for an afternoon tea.
The Sleeping StatueThe Sleeping Statue
The Sleeping Statue

This blue guy wakes up when you put a coin in his hat!
Birthday GirlBirthday Girl
Birthday Girl

Gary and I had a wonderful dinner Saturday night at Las Lilas--one of the better steak houses. The owner raises his own cattle. As a suprise, they brought me a dessert. Feliz Cumpliaños!
It was Yummy!!It was Yummy!!
It was Yummy!!

Yeah, it was pretty good!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb