Debbie and Greg's Next Great Adventure


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 15th 2012
Published: February 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Av. 9 De JulioAv. 9 De JulioAv. 9 De Julio

widest street ever!
Oh, this wonderful grand affair. Life IS good! Greg and I are in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We arrived the 2nd of January after a trip around Cape Horn. It was our Honeymoon (like everyday is a honeymoon) excursion and now we are settling into the vibe of this vibrant city.

From our window there is a view of the Mitre Train Station, the Torre Monument Clock Tower, the San Martin Bus Terminal and a colorful array of various shapes that is one of many Favela locations in this Latin Metropolis. The huge Plaza San Martin is just across the street and at the top is the Gateway to the best shopping in the City! Just my luck! Florida is an Avenue of cobblestone that has miles of shops and Malls with anything you could want. The more upscale and diverse stores are located nearby on Av. Sante Fe and Av. Alvear. This is where you will find top designers of local fashions, as well as, the tried and cherished "Escada" and "Chanel" boutiques.

I am told that when in Buenos Aires - there are things you just cannot leave without. Leather is high on the list, and Silver (of course), there is a stone that is found only on the Argentine side of the Andes -"rodochrosita" is a must have keepsake from the "Paris" of South America. Another item that is true to Argentina and to Brazil, for that matter, is the Yerba Mate' Gourd with a bombilla straw. Some are very elaborate, surrounded by silver and some are novelty items such as the gourd attached to the cow hoof! Yikes! That would be a scary cup of tea!

Greg has been spending much of his time at the city airport. He has been in one accident from the backseat of a taxi (fender bender) and he learns about attractions and good restaurants as well. So between the two of us we have had a nice overview and great meals thus far. As you will see by the photos we have been seen wandering around cemeteries and hanging out with our Tango friends too ;o)

I took Spanish lessons for three weeks (still not brave enough to bust out with too much though) and have also been out visiting some of the museums. I toured the Casa Rosada (where Presidente' Christina lives) last week and also took
Recoleta CemetarioRecoleta CemetarioRecoleta Cemetario

Cemetery for Aristocrats
a train ride to the North to ride a Catamarran - We are having fun and enjoying the sights and sounds of marvelous city.

We miss our family, our pets and our friends, of course. And we rage appreciation that we have you to bother on "Skype" at random various times of the day or night! Sure hope that you appreciate hearing from us as much! haha

I know that I mentioned I would get this 'blogging' thing going last year - and I never really got the swing of it. Thankfully, at Spanish school, I met a friend who led the way. So a big shout out: Thank you Pedro! for making this possible. :O)

There are a few pics to look at - hope you enjoy and look forward to sharing soon!

Love and Hugs

debbie


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

La Chacarita CemeterioLa Chacarita Cemeterio
La Chacarita Cemeterio

Cemetery for Artisans


18th February 2012

Fun, FUN AND MORE FUN!!
What a great BLOG, dear Debbie! Looks like you and Greg are enjoying yourselves and your travels tremendously. Super delightful to share a bit of the adventure with you. Much love, Elaine

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb