How do I love thee...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
March 14th 2006
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sullivan's PromoSullivan's PromoSullivan's Promo

FREE beers! Yah, I know there's a lot of Bud, but Guiness and Corona, too.
WHY I LOVE BUENOS AIRES by TARA

While it's easy for us all to write about the things we don't like, it's sometimes harder to write about the good things that we have. This is my attempt to do that.

1. Buenos Aires is the only city that I'm familiar with whose most important and powerful people are the bus drivers. They are above the law, they are fast and powerful, and they could ram down a cop car in a single swipe.

2. They are more trusting than most cultures. Here, they have a huge problem with change, the stores, the cabbies, etc. Either they don't know that it's necessary to have it, or don't think about it at the start of their day. But if they don't have change, more times than not they will tell you to just pay them later. A very big honor system is going on here. I think this has happened to me a good five times. Yes, I've repaid...

3. In most U.S. papers we have many different sections in the paper, like Business, Classifieds, Entertainment, etc. Here is one place where they have a "Carne" section. :-)
McEntregaMcEntregaMcEntrega

"Like in McDonald's, but in your house!"

4. Movies cost less than two American dollars. What's the price nowadays, TEN BUCKS!?!

5. When a bar has a promotion on beer (this is an exceptional case, but still wanted to mention it!), instead of offering a discount or a two-fer, they just give them all away for free. What!?!? Reference attached photo...

6. Real Estate is priced in American dollars. Wouldn't it be funny if U.S. real estate was priced in Japanese Yen?

7. Argentina celebrates "The Day of the Woman" on March 8th. It's like two Valentine's Day within one month!!

8. Some bars and clubs don't close if people are still in it. They're partyer-friendly!

9. They don't buy into that crap about sugar being bad for you. They have an entire row in the supermarket dedicated to the 60 brands of dulce de leche :-)

10. Restaurants will deliver just about anything at just about any time that they're open. If you want an empanada, just one, it will delivered with no charge for the price of about 1.80 pesos. And then we have McEntrega...McDonald's delivers! Just moments after seeing this sign, I saw a delivery guy in the
McEntrega deliveryMcEntrega deliveryMcEntrega delivery

There goes someone's BigMac, large fry and diet Coke.
street and snuck behind him to steal a photo. Also Blockbuster will deliver the video of your choice for 5 pesos and will return the next day to pick it up. What joy!!

What do you like about your country?














Advertisement



14th March 2006

Yowzers
Holy cow, Deliverly and Free Beers, why come back Tara?
16th March 2006

Micky D's
Mc Donalds Truely is global...it's funny but I never usually go when I am abroad but I do sometimes like their cheeseburgers when I am home

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb