Photos?


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 6th 2007
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Patagonia

So far: Grand Bend to Toronto, to Bueos Aires. El Calafate next ...

OK everybody, (in my best Samuel Jackson impression), hang onto your hats. I´m trying to upload some photos.

Right, well, it´s kind of working so I´ll get writing while a few download. This´ll be a quick entry - I´m getting hungry from some Argeninian beef at a paillia (grill house). Supposedly they can cut the thick filets with a spoon. Looking foward to that, I have to say.

Today was an interesting day. Still gorgeous, and the usual smell of urine and pollution wafted away on the gentle sub-tropical breeze. Honestly, no irony intended. It was a lovely day.

Anyways, spent the majority of it at the Recolleta Cemetary. Yup, at a cemetary. This place was unbelievable. Tombs to die for. These things, holding the remains of Buenos Aires´ and Argentina´s leading citizens were clad in marble, granite, and ivory for pete´s sake. And their condition ranged from pristine (presumably those with families still around) to falling down around the coffins. Literally. And you could see the coffins - no plebian sarcophagi for these folks!

My favourites were, of course, Evita´s (pretty much the only Argentinian people know right off the top of their heads). A very popular tomb. Did I mention that this is one of the top five tourist sites in BA? My other favourite, not at all visited, was the Pentarch of the Three Friends. I don´t know the story, but this beautiful monument was a three corner spire, each side with a brass engraving of one of the three friends. Two were writers (they had stylized open books beneath their faces) and the third was a musician, obviously an expert in the lyre (since that´s what he had beneath his - not a harp, as you might expect, but a lyre). Whatever caused them to buried together, forgoing their familes (most of the tombs are a name and "y familia") is surely a story to tell.

On a sader note (yup, I found the tombs poignant yet amusing), you´ll see a picture from yesterday on the site. It´s a partial shot of one of the walls for the Disappeared, a few of the 30-45 thousand victims of the brutal repressive government in the 70´s and 80´s in Argentina. Every Thursday the "Mothers of the Disappeared" (I´ve forgotten the Spainish title) continue to march, since very few have every been found, or their
The ObeliskThe ObeliskThe Obelisk

In a city full of phallic statues and monuments, this one is definitely noteworthy ...
remains. Kind of hard to believe it could have happened, looking around BA today.

Did I mention all the cute babes? Not as prevalent as Prague, but I am seriously considering immigrating.

OK, that´s all for now. I´ll figure out the photo thing better for next time, but take a look and if you have any suggestions, fire away. I´m off to El Calafate in Patagonia tomorrow, and join an organized tour and hike on Saturday by FitzRoy Mountain and Petit Moreno Glaciar (which, by a freak of nature, is one of the few in the world still advancing despite our best efforts to heat the planet. Silly glacier.)

Hope all is well in, I´m told (thanks Maureen!) snow-bound Ottawa and bitter London. All the best!

Mike

P.S. Someone send me the Sens results of the last couple of days please ... much better to get from a fan than off the web!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Tango BridgeThe Tango Bridge
The Tango Bridge

Not its real name, but the spire is supposed to represent a couple in Tango ... I really didn´t see it then, and certainly don´t in this high quality photo ...


6th December 2007

Punilicious
Oh Mike! Tombs to die for? Sounds like you're a bit giddy. I like the stories though. The lyre might be a symbolic thing, though, not literal. You will be happy to know the Sens turned around their losing streak last night. Gory details here: http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=146979 Hope you enjoy the beef. I'm making stew tonight to sweeten up life in Bitter London :) m.
7th December 2007

good day from the great white north
hey mike, good to hear you are doing well. as long as the urine smell is not your own and the women aren't really men it sounds like a good place to be. cheers, m ps i ride the sens bandwagon when they are winning but it's probably better they struggle now as opposed to doing the same in april/may as they have done in the past.
8th December 2007

those aren't pillows
Hey Mike - sounds like a great trip so far. Yah I hear yah on the babe front seems like they also had underwear shops everywhere too. We did the hike to Fitzroy, you will like that if the weather works out. You staying @ hostels or hotels?
8th December 2007

Group hugs everybody
Hey Popp! Yup, FitzRoy is tomorrow, rain is the forecast but it´s gotta be wrong, right? Doing a mixture of hotels and hostels. Right now in a hostel - standard stuff. Upgrade to a hotel when I get to Puerto Natales next week. Keep the comments & messages coming all!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb