Day 3


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Blue SkiesBlue SkiesBlue Skies

This is the only blue sky we´ve seen the whole time.
At least it stopped raining today, but we still haven´t seen the sun - not even once since we got here. Last night we decided to splurge on a fancy dinner before meeting up with some friends for a night of fun. We picked a restaurant from one of our travel books which ended up being as cool as any place you would find in NYC. We thought we´d give foie gras a try since it´s expensive and hard to come by in the US. Well.....we decided we should stay away from goose liver from now until eternity as both of us were trying not to spit it back up. I guess our tastes aren´t as refined as we thought they were. The rest of the meal was good even though we were still a little queezy from our appetizer. We managed to spend $100 US on dinner and a bottle of wine which is about as much as you could ever spend on food here.

Afterwards, we met with some friends at a dance club in a neighborhood we hadn´t yet explored. They sure love to dance here until very very late, so when in Rome....

Woke
The $3 US filet mignonThe $3 US filet mignonThe $3 US filet mignon

Literally, only $3 US - and incredible.
up this morning and took a walk through the financial district of town. It was totally dead since it was a Saturday morning, but interesting nonetheless. Grabbed some cafe con leche and sandwiches at a classic BA cafe, the oldest one in the city (open since the mid 1800´s). We continued walking to the San Telmo neighborhood which has lots of antique shops and had a very bohemian feel. After another cafe con leche while waiting for Arkady, we headed to La Boca.

La Boca is the neighborhood that you see all the pictures of with the colorful buildings. It´s pretty "rough" but the tourist area is okay and a must see. We found a little restaurant and got some amazing lunch - empanadas, two steaks, a chicken dinner and a beer for less than $15 US. It was kind of a culture shock when a little 5 year old girl ran into the restaurant after we were done eating and asked Seth if she could have the scraps off his plate. It puts some things into perspective.

We´re going to try to see a tango show tonight then we´re off to Salta in the morning (we ended
Seth, Claudia and ArkadySeth, Claudia and ArkadySeth, Claudia and Arkady

Dancing the night away
up switching to a noon flight so we have some time to explore when we get in). We´re not sure what kind of internet access we´ll have, but if we see a computer, we´ll try to post.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

La BocaLa Boca
La Boca

The colorful buildings of La Boca


6th May 2007

La Boca
It's great to be able to follow your travels. BA's La Boca looks more colorful than FLa Boca. Hope you enjoy Salta. Love to y'all. PS - Although the horse I liked in the Ky Derby came in last, I had boxed a number of exactas, and hit the winning one for $101!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb