G´Day from B.A.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
April 5th 2007
Published: April 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent the last week in Buenos Aires, the town that never sleeps. This place is crazy. Everyone eats dinner at 11, goes to pub at 1am, and then off to a club at 3am. The clubs peak at 6am, EVERY NIGHT. We were only able to stay out til 3 at the latest one night. We´ll blame the jet lag for that one.

Argentina is supposed to be famous for it´s steaks. Everyone was telling us how good they are. So we went to one of the best places in San Telmo, called DisNeval. It was a bit of a let down. The steaks we get back home are much better, but for AUD$9, it was okay. We also ate an all you can eat buffet for $11 pesos (about $4 back home).

First things first? Spanish lessons. Because our spanish sucked, and we were still resorting to pointing things out on the menu, we invested some time (and money), and took 3 four hour lessons. Not quite fluent yet but Lia is definitely learning faster then Ryan. The people at the school were lovely, and were also teachers to the stars (Natalie Portman).

Nick Jackson
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

Lia and Ryan doing the Tango.
was in town, and we met up with him on the 2nd night. It was good to see a familiar face, and even better because he spoke and understood Spanish. We went out for dinner most nights, and spent the days checking out the sights of B.A. It is a huge city.

The first few days, it was pouring with rain. Nick said a earlier in the week, it had rained so hard the streets were flooded. We also just missed a massive riot which took place the weekend before. Better luck next time.

We explored the CBD first. There are many churches and heaps of old buildings. We roamed down Florida Avenue, and watched the artists and perfomers do their stuff, and Ave Corrientes, which is the Broadway of Argentina.

La Boca, home of the Boca Juniors. It´s in the not-so-safe side of town, but the main strip, which is only a few streets, is very touristy. The buildings are all painted bright colours, with heaps of craft and art stalls. Every restaurant tries to entice you to eat at their place with live tango shows and music. The place we ate at was very nice,
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

The amateurs warm up the crowds...
and Ryan even got up to show them a few moves.

Recoleta is famous for the cemetery, which is home to Eva "Evita" Peron. We went to her grave. The cemetary was like a big city of tombs, the smell was weird and there were evil cat´s roaming everywhere. Outside the cemetery is a big market selling all sorts of stuff. It´s apparently the most expensive market in BA, but this didn´t stop Lia from buying a pair of Jesus sandles. Over the road is a pretty cool piece of architecture, called the Sculpture of the Rose, which opens and closes depending on the sunlight.

The next day we visited Palermo and Palermo Viejo, the expensive side of town. We went to the Japanese gardens, wandered past the zoo, and ate lunch in an awesome little square, but there wasn´t heaps to see.

We changed our flight to Brazil, surprise, suprise and extended our stay in Argentina, to go to Uruguay and Iguazu falls. We waited at Lan Chile for an hour and a half to be served. During this time, we could hear drums and chanting outside. It got louder until it was right out the
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

... and then the pro´s steal the show.
window. Next thing you know, we have people in horror masks, looking in the windows at us, and waving protest signs. They were protesting against Lan Chile, and we were right in the middle of it. We managed to escape without serious injury.

That´s it from BA. We said goodbye to Nick, and then it was off to Uruguay and Puerto Iguazu. Details and photos of this trip in the next few days.


Lia and Ryan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Buenos AiresBuenos Aires
Buenos Aires

The view from our downtown hostel.
Buenos AiresBuenos Aires
Buenos Aires

Nick and I on 9 de Julio in B.A.
RecoletaRecoleta
Recoleta

The cemetery, home of "Evita".
RecoletaRecoleta
Recoleta

The Sculpture of the Rose


9th April 2007

As Always
As always, ryan is chatting up the girls and dancing around with them instead of lia :p
9th April 2007

Looks awesome guys, can't wait to get some tango lessons from you,
10th April 2007

Kirk
And as always, Kirk is on his computer instead of chatting to and dancing with girls... Sorry mate, couldn't resist (and like I can talk!)
19th April 2007

Steak
I had a wicked steak in Bariloche. But yeah, none in BA. I imagine if you actually go to a good restaurant you could do pretty well. I´ve got some funny pics from that last night in BA, will send you them when i get home.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb