Buenos Aires, Tango, steak, city life, and a bad but cheap haircut.....


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 17th 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Aires (BsAs for short), what can we say..... so much. Most importantly, we´d be here for a whole whopping 4 nights!! Even better, in a hotel !!! Yeah baby, cranck up that aircon !!!

Of all cities thus far in the trip, this one would´ve made the best impression on most of us. It´s a true Metropolis, with plenty of history, also on the water, for some nice views and sunsets, great food (unless you´re a vegetarian), and lest we forget, TANGO!!

We did enjoy our stay here in many different ways, and would say we´d like to come back, sooner, rather than later.

Had a very touristy bus tour through town, but all in all, quite good to get your bearings, and also to get an idea of the hundreds of monuments that are scattered through the city. One of the stops was in the subburd of La Boca near the soccer stadium (Boca Juniors) where Maradonna had his not-so-humble beginnings. Yes, I did tought the hand of God (picture)!

Got a 30 second tango lesson as well, or rather, she jumped onto me, so we could take pictures, and then I had money grabbed from my hands for that privilege.... classy!

Did a first dinner and tango show, quite amusing, and very touristy, and also another experience of "something extra is on the bill, which we didn´t ask for but was casually left on the table".... You live, you learn.

Cafe Tortoni is another landmark, a great and very old coffee shop/cafe. Built in the late 19th century it had a lot of history to show for. The night after we´d also enjoy a much better tango show there.

A nice stopover in Palermo with some other travel mates, who left the truck a bit earlier, at Bar6, for a great lunch, even for vegetarians!!

A bit of a shop around (to replace the 2 cargo pants I´d cracked out of) for clothes, and ending up in what seemed a quite fashionable hairsalon. Now the problem being to explain to a spanish speaker, who doesn´t speak english, what you want done. "This (pointing to side) very corte/short, but this (pointing to top of head) a bit longer, OK?!?!?" Needless to say it looked like shit, but it served a purpose, and only cost about US$7. Bin had some more issues explaining, and also had a lot more hair to worry about. The dude also started adding up some other treatments, so that added to the cost a lot. But at least she looked great.

MALBA, museum of modern argentinian art was interesting to say the least. The building was nice, modern and very open structure. But most of the art in it wouldn´t leave much of an impression on anyone. Except maybe for the strange handbags in the shop (picture), let´s just say the other side of the handbag had an , ehm, well, another side to it.

A couple of us jumped of the truck in BsAs, and I guess you could say some of us staying ON the truck would´ve liked to done the same thing, if only to spend more time in this city.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb