Another first - This time Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
January 20th 2021
Published: January 22nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

29th December 2020

The 3rd of my trips yesterday.

Buenos Aires - Plaza de Mayo

The Plaza de Mayo is the oldest public square in Buenos aires, and has been the scene of many of the most important events in the city's history.

The square is named after the Argentine revolution, which began on May 25, 1810.

So many beautiful buildings around the square including the cathedral where Pope Francis conducted mass for 20 years, the seat of the national government, the national bank and the intelligence secretariat & one of the oldest bookstores in Argentina. The green kiosks are the only place that people can buy newspapers.

Buenos Aires is the only Argentine city with a metro system.

The rainbow road crossings show just how diverse Argentina is in relation to LGBTQ pride.

Fabian our guide had so many interesting facts to share.

As well as being the site of the May revolution, the square was also the location for Argentina's first political rally in 1890. It remains the main point for public gatherings.

Today there is an anti abortion rally with people wearing light blue or green depending on
their views.

Argentina is on the verge of making history as the first major Latin American country to legalise abortion.

The Casa Rosada or pink house - is the seat of the Argentine national government and the president's office. In the late 1940’s this where the people came to hear Eva "Evita" Perón speak from the balcony.

The white painted headscarves on the ground are a tribute to ‘The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo’ who began meeting in the square in 1977 to demand information about their missing children during Argentina's last military dictatorship. They continue to meet in the square and march around the May Pyramid every Thursday at 3.30pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement




Tot: 0.632s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb