Tango-ing Cowgirls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
September 16th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tango classTango classTango class

The only all female couple
Well Ally now has a new bag! The most high-tech one that money can buy and it only cost 50 pounds. So now feeling suitably chuffed with new purchase.
Since our last entry we did manage to see Evita's tomb. It's in an amazing cemetery that looks like a little city of very grand tombs.
We also spent a day in the La Boca area of BA which is the very colourful working class district.
BA has a pretty special atmosphere- it's buzzing but still very chilled out.
As Argentina is the home of tango, we went off to see a tango show one evening. We had a little class before the main show. Ally had to be the boy - she was the only pretend boy in the whole class much to the amusement of the real boys. However she did produce a masterful lead to Amelia's very graceful girl part. Main dance quality seemed to be our capacity to collapse into giggles most of the way through. Not helped by the fact that all the other couples were on romantic nights out.
The after class tango show given by the proper dancers was absolutely incredible though.
We've just come
Tango showTango showTango show

...how it´s really done...!
back from two days at a gaucho ranch in the countryside about 2 hours north-west of BA. Seriously primitive hostel with no electricity which we weren't quite expecting! We were sharing our dorm with an English guy who 200 miles into his 6 month motorbike trip around South America had broken down on a muddy track right outside the hostel. And he was desperately trying to fix his bike. We suggested he turn it off and on/kick it...none of which went down very well for some reason!
We were looked after by a gaucho called Manuel who took us horseriding. Ally is not the greatest fan of horses but figured it would be slightly pathetic to come to a ranch and not have a go. Naturally she got the slowest horse who was also incredibly stubborn and kept trying to turn round and go home. Amelia's horse was impeccably behaved. Manuel's horse was totally crazy and frothing at the mouth the whole way through which was slightly disturbing! However we managed to make it it in one piece (which was a relief after our request for helmets was met with the offer of a baseball cap). It was a great opportunity to see the countryside which is just vast and totally flat.
The main method of transport in Argentina is by coach and they are so plush. It's like travelling in business class. The seats recline into full beds and they give you meals. So we're quite looking forward to our next trip!
Our only downer since the bag was the taxi ride back from BA bus station to our hostel. The driver tried to give us counterfeit notes and then swapped our good notes for his own fake ones. Apparently it's a common trick and there's not much you can do about it. Very very annoying but guess it's part of the whole BA experience!
Amelia's off to play polo tomorrow. Ally's horse-related bravery has run out so she's just going to watch. We'll update you with whether Amelia managed to hit the ball!
We'll definitely download some photos before we leave BA so hope to have some up soon.
Thanks for reading! xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Casa RosadaCasa Rosada
Casa Rosada

Can you spot Evita´s balcony?


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb