Cattle Fair


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A prize bird with a golden wigA prize bird with a golden wigA prize bird with a golden wig

The colours were beautiful but it did look a bit false.
The annual cattle fair at La Rural was not something we thought we would enjoy but at 10 pesos it was worth a try, especially as all our Argentine friends said it was a "must see".

When we first went in, we visited a large barn housing prize pigs. The smell was quite disgusting! There were also rabbits, chinchillas, peacocks, and all manner of birds which had won prizes too.

As usual, I cannot resist free samples so I joined the hustle and bustle in the stands to sample cheese, chorizo sausages, and various olive pastes. We saw the world's biggest alfahora (possibly!) and Trish bought a miniature version of it which didn't take us long to munch our way through!!

The main arena in the centre provided entertainment for the crowds. Although we didn't manage to get seated, we did push our way to the fornt of the standing area and saw the police dogs do a great display. The mounted police on their horses were excellent, but kicked sand and god knows what else into our face. Serves us right for pushing to the front I guess!

All in all it was a surprisingly good
A prize winning bullA prize winning bullA prize winning bull

You would not believe the smell from the cattle areas. Not sure which were worse, the cows or the pigs!
day out, and one to recommend for anyone in BA late July next year!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Kicking sand in our facesKicking sand in our faces
Kicking sand in our faces

We had a terrific close up view of the horses display, and our coats went into the wash as soon as we got home!!
Learning to swim?Learning to swim?
Learning to swim?

Practicing breaststroke lying on top of your horse is a novel idea. I guess it shows a lot of trust in your mount.


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb