Argentinian retractions


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
April 16th 2010
Published: April 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It's very late, but I decided that I needed to send something, or I would be home before most of you read this.

This is called Argentinian retractions, because I made some very bold claims about the food (not in a good way), that I need to revisit. Since I posted the last blog, I have had some of the best food I've ever eaten and possibly one of the best dishes of my life! More to follow.

After Bariliche, we hired a car and (with trepidation, given we were driving on the other side of the road) made our way to Villa La Angostura. It felt like we were driving into the mountains and then we discovered that we were actually the other side of the same lake, Nahuel Huapi. We went to the information centre and Rachael had an extremely impressive conversation, which landed us in a really nice lodge a few kms up the road, with a stunning view of the lake.

Next we tried to go to the bank and found it had no more deniros... not uncommon. Nevertheless, we pressed on to the main attraction, which is the forest of special trees (too late to remember the name, but related to the myrtle tree - my family can google). This involved a boat journey and we spent nearly the last of our pesos. R was counting, but I thought we should go for it. It was lovely and the trees were great, but as the trip progressed, we counted our combined cash and realised we could just pay for the hotel and possibly the lunch we had already eaten, but no more. Very fortunately, we discovered a restaurant that took visa and then a money machine, so all good.

This brings me to the first cause for retraction. Dinner at Bistro Tinto was AMAZING! Owned by the brother of the Dutch Queen, it was great food, great service and great ambience.

This was the first day of rain... a bit of a theme since then.

The next day was a day of travel, hire car, plane, ferry and before you know it we were in Colonia in Uruguay. Stunning on the first night, all cobbles and character and our hotel was very cute and right in the historic district. The next day, afer enthusiastic early start, we discovered that the old district is very small and they are very geared up for tourists (read, bit of a rip off joint). But we did good walking and hired a golf cart (!) to go 5 kms up the coast, which was fun.

The next day was Rachael's birthday and after a bit of a drama leaving Uruguay (R didn't have the necessary piece of paper - not cool on her birthday), we hit BA. Our apartment (Jacaranda) is right in Palermo, which is very like Ponsonby and really great. Retraction #2. (Maybe) shopping is now definitely shopping. Shoes, boots, handbags and more. Consumerism rife...

After a cocktail at Bar 6, we clad ourselves in new outfits and made our way to R's birthday dinner restaurant... Casa Cruz. In true Argentinian style, the booking was for 10pm. Retraction #3, possibly the best meal I've had, with steak tartar and a very strange cheeze platter, that I can't even begin to describe. Then a bar next door, with a music mix to do the Lime bar proud, casino chips to purchase drinks (very compkicated), great lights and mirrored loos. All very cool. So very late night had.

Stella's last day, again raining, involved mooching and shopping. I am good at this. Stella's last dinner at La Cabrera, which is the famous steak restraurant. Retraction #4. We had amazing food, declining the 800 gram steak, in favour of 2 x 400 grams between us. Plus, strangely, chips with scrambled eggs, which were surprisingly good.

It was sad to see Stella go; she's off to big adventures, moving to Chch and new job.

R and I were a bit sad when the next day dawned wet again, but fortunately (after a little more shopping) the weather cleared and we became a little more touristy. Great art at the Malba (actually, really great art)and then a walking tour of Ricoletta, including the very famous cementary, which is about 5 acres of Mausoleums, really like a city of the dead. Actually a little creepy. We saw Evita's tomb, but actually it was pretty moderate, compared with the rest.

One more day to go only. Quite a lot has happened at Telecom in the last week, so I return with a bit of trepidation...

Love to all

Lucy

Advertisement



16th April 2010

Oooh shopping yay!
Melanie and I can't wait to see the results of your shopping endeavours - a fashion show each day will be very entertaining thanks!!
16th April 2010

all sounds great , Lucy - especially the food! Made me feel hungry .What bold travellers you and Rachel are now .Look forward to hearing more when you are back. Love Joyce .

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb