Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 16th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a few weeks of relaxing with family and friends we are back on the road again, the plan is South America, 10 countries in four and a half months better get moving! First stop is Buenos Aires, Argentina. It is easy to forget that you are in South America as due to the Spanish and Italian influences you could easily be in Europe. The archititure is quite amazing, along with the contrast that you see, from impressive well maintained old European buildings with pavements that run outside them cracked and full of holes then ten minutes down the road slums built with corrugated steel sheeting. We stayed in the area of San Telmo which was literally oozing with culture, a local cafe on every corner, tango dancing and bands everywhere. We explored the whole of Buenos Aires and this was definately our favourite area. There are the areas which are more ´polished´such as the riverside and Palmero but they do not have the same atmosphere that San Telmo possessed in abundance.

Our activites whilst there basically consisted of sight seeing, drinking wine in local cafes and outside in the squares, and eating steak, pretty much every night but then who can refuse when it is only 4 pounds for half a kilo of sirloin. We were fortunate enough to time our visit to coincide with carnival and a Boca Juniors football match both of which were an experience.

The carnival weekend happens all over South America with the most famous being Rio de Janiero, our experience was a much more local affair. We arrived to be greeted by being sprayed in the face with foam, initially we were a little suprised until we realised that that was obviously part of the custom as everyone was covered in foam and were spraying each other, so we decided if you can´t beat them join them and bought a can each.

Watching Boca Juniors play we certainly got a feel for the passion of South American football fans. The stadium held around 52,000 and was pretty much at capacity for the game. There were balloons, streamers, chanting, flags and bands, the atmosphere was pretty amazing, unfortunatley the same could not be said about the game it ended 0-0.

After a great introduction to our South America trip we boarded a plane to head to the most southern city in the world Ushuaia, the gateway to Antartica.





Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th February 2010

There's something about Louise!
Wow, it looks so colourful and interesting. Not sure about photos 21 though! How high up were you in teh stadium? It looks really high up. Think i would have pooped myself. So you are off to Antactica. Pretending i am not jealous......dont forget to steal me a penguin and if not then take loads of pics for me. Charlie is so cute, giggling at Dad. Anyway, making me want to visit BA! Gotta go cos Dad is trying to give the dog cod liver oil just for funsies!
19th February 2010

Hi
Just looked at the pics of Chralie on facebook he is adorable and getting so big. We will send the pictures we took of Charlie when we get back home we have stored them on the hard drive in Barrow, there are some very cute ones. Keep reminding us if we forget. Send our love to everyone and a big kiss for Charlie xx
19th February 2010

Isn´t Charlie too young to have watched ´there´s something about Mary!´
23rd February 2010

picture 17 is my favourite - at least you had one good wash. You seem to make a habit of this. Enjoy the frivolity why you can, back pack and cold temperatures here you come!!! I will to see the smiles between clenched teeth.
24th February 2010

Hi Mum, Sat in the hostel now, just watching Adam walk down the stairs very unsmoothly, so we are back from the cold and backpacks, it was amazing but we are both a little achy as seen by Adam´s descent of the stairs!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb