Part One: The Sorcerer´s Stone


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Heyyy everyone,

It´s day 3.5 of our trip and we´re blogging for the first time. Oops. Here´s a synopsis of our adventures so far:

Day 0.5: (Monday) We were supposed to take an overnight flight to Buenos Aires on Sunday night but we decided to take the next flight out on Monday night for 600 Delta dollars. We spent the day chillin in Atlanta. We got to hang out with Nick´s friend Kelly from school - she was super nice and cute. We took a tour of the CNN studio which was awesommmme and wandered around the Olympic park.

Day 1: Super tired. A taxi took us to our hostel and we wanted to sleep but we had to exchange our money into Argentine pesos. We had a bit of a panic because NOBODY would take our money. We seriously tried five different banks and the biggest one in the city but they all said no. We finally found a little one that took it. It was scary because we couldn´t even buy food. While wandering through the city we saw the Pink House (Argentinian Presidente´s Residence). Female President. Got her choice of colors. We discovered truly how enormous Buenos Aires is, it really goes on forever.

side note--up to this point, nick has been far and away the most fluent and helpful with spanish. EX: nick explains to greg what a cashier at a small convenience store is trying to convey-that juice is cheaper in one large carton than two smaller ones

Day 2: First day of volunteering. Took a bus ride through BA to the supposed site, however then the trail went cold. nick found us an internet cafe and we were finally able to find it. on the short walk to el banco de alimentos, a very small dog across the street barked at melissa. she screamed her face off, which drew the attention of every person on the street. thanks melissa, helping to get us noticed. upon arriving at work, we were assigned to the "mandarinas." nick turned out to be a specialist in bagging fruit and we flew through that work at light speed. it was a good thing too, because melissa really like to hoard her mandarins (without bagging them). pictures will prove this upon our return. we ate at a fancy ($10/plate) restaurant outside. despite the temperature hovering around 72 degrees, they had space heaters running for us on the sidewalk. dog event #2: a stray dog wandered onto the restaurant patio and laid down next to our table. nobody seemed to mind. After dinner we were looking for something fun to do and decided to go see Star Trek. Live long and prosper. After the movie we were walking back towards our Hostel, and saw the obelisco, an Argentinia monument.

Day 3: Second day of volunteering. Woke up really early and took the same bus out to the food bank. Today we sorted through cans to determine what food was edible and what was not. Hopefully we did a good job. After volunteering we took a bus into the city and found a nice little cafe to eat at. We decided to be adventurous and pick something off the menu at random (it turned out to be cheese pizza). The food we have had has been very. very good. Afterwards we tried out the subway system for a change which was very interesting. People walk up and down the subway cars selling anything you could want. Now we are back at the hostel getting ready for the evening festivities. Greg and Melissa are going to go tango, and I´m going to be nerdy and read.



Advertisement



21st May 2009

young money?
I don't get why the banks wouldn't cash your money? ....what are the politics behind that? and how BIG was the $10 steak??
23rd May 2009

pink?
A PINK residence?? Gotta love women in power :) And don't worry, Mel -- I know you will never scream at small animals/creatures. Lies! =)
23rd May 2009

Traveling vicariously
Karen gave me your blog address so I'm looking forward to following your adventures! Like Karen, I am wondering why they wouldn't take your money. Are dollars that worthless? Buena ventura! (I thought I'd say that since it is the official name of our city..... and of course, also to wish you good luck and a safe journey.)

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb