Futbol in Buenos Aires - Crazy!


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Racing takes the field 24 secs
Ola,

As you all probably know, Argentinians are mad keen soccer fans! Or as some may say, fanatics... So, a soccer/futbol game was on our list of priorities for our stay in Buenos Aires.
Boca Juniors and River Plate are the two top teams here...and alas neither had a game this weekend...however considering the support and fan base, we probably wouldnt have been able to snaffle tickets anyway.
We were however lucky enough to join a tour group going to the 'Racing v's Belgrano Cba' game. 'Racing' are in the top 5 fav teams of BA, however they are currently bottom of the first division table, and under threat of relegation to Belgrano Cba, a 2nd division team... so boy, oh boy were we in for some excitement.

We werent being picked up until 1pm, so we thought we´d start our day by heading to the San Telmo markets. These are one of the two famous markets of BA. San Telmo consisting of antiques, jewellery, art etc. However on our way there we were greeted with busloads of futbol fans, hangin out of bus windows, letting off flares, singing chants and generally getting into the 'spirit' of the day. The motocade was followed closely behind by heaps of police, most looking to be part of the riot squad...
Anyhoo, we made it to the markets and the quiet streets opened up for us...It was so lovely to stroll through these quaint streets, and browse at all the gorgeous pieces and art work. ahhh.

Ok, enough shopping girls... We headed to our pick up destination, and boarded our minivan bound for the stadium. We had a really helpful guide, Santiago who warned us to hold on to our tickets/money/bags etc and to stay close...no wandering or daydreaming allowed...this was serious! He also told us that we were going for Racing. Full stop. Luckily we realised that this was not the time to support the underdog. After explaining some of Racing´s history (they are a very capable team, who often lose at the last moment, and they just can´t seem to fulfil their potential, but they have a very loyal fan base . . . sound familiar!?) So, obviously, we felt a certain connection to the ¨constantly disappointed fans¨ and we were ready to cheer.

Off we get, greeted by much more cheering, car horns, flags everywhere and streams of fans! We were to follow 'Racing' for the day. yippeee! over 3/4 of the stadium was filled with 'Racing' fans.... leaving a small portion for the visitors... And oh my goodness, what a roar went through the crowd. constantly! You could hear the stadium throbbing with noise as we approached, and when we got in . . . unbelievable. And the game wasn´t even starting for two hours!
Banners everywhere and general screaming..and all this before the game even started. Each team were screaming their teams songs and generally jumping around non-stop.
The atmosphere was electric! We got right into it, and as soon as it started we were right there along with the die hard fans!
One thing to mention is their theatrical ability on the field... two Argentinian teams playing each other, involves a lot of falls and spectacular rolls...some without anyone being nearby. crack up!
I think the photos will do it much more justice. so il keep it short, and hope you can absorb the atmosphere through the screen.

oh, and Racing won! phew.... otherwise the crowd may have turned nasty... (If we losty, Santiago told us we were to stay put in our seats. We wouln´t even try leaving until much later. Guess the home team doesn´t like losing??)

We start our next tour tomorrow. So off now for a big celebratory dinner, to get ready for the new chapter in our adventure.
love to you all
xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



2nd July 2008

hmmm....
go Racing!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb