Last week in BA


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 25th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

El CocodrilloEl CocodrilloEl Cocodrillo

This one was a 5 footer swimming under a bridge on the way to a waterfall.
Hello Everyone,
We only have one more week in this crazy bustling city, and although we will miss certain aspects of this home we have created here, we are all getting pretty excited to start another chapter of the adventure. Last week we went to Iguazu falls which was absolutely mind blowing! The falls are 2 kilometers across and the national park that surrounds them is full of wildlife. Legend has it that the falls were created when a native prince ran away with a woman whom a certain God had become infatuated with. The two humans attempted to escape down the river in a canoe but the God noticed and collapsed the river in front of them. This plunged them into a watery abyss but instead of perishing the man turned into a tree and the woman turned into a rock.
Well in another geologic reality the falls mark the location where the river bottom turns from hard basaltic rock into soft sedimentary rock. This change created and is still creating a 200 meter whole into which countless tons of water falls each second. Niagra falls has got nothin´ on this baby. If Houdini were to have tried his barrel
Garganta del diabloGarganta del diabloGarganta del diablo

Devils throat Crazy amounts of water and amazing views of Brazil
trick...
Anyway, we were so excited to see monkeys (especially a mama with a baby on her back), a crocodile, tucans, giant ants, huge spiders, overgrown grasshoppers, and so much more. It seems that the rainforest produces organisms of gargantuan porportions. We have posted a few pictures to give a glimpse of the trip, but it was hard to capture the brilliance of the falls.
This past weekend we went to our first Argentine "football" game, a true cultural experience. The crowd is so full of emotion and the fans are constantly chanting to the beat of huge bass drums throughout the whole game. The home team won so our bus ride home was full of people jumping and chanting out the window to the elated fans everywhere, while the bus driver honked to the beat. It was a blast.
We are heading west on Saturday to Mendoza, for a wine festival and the Andes Mnts. for the highest peak in the western hemisphere, (Aconcagua at 6900 meters). Then it´s down to Patagonia for glaciers and penguins. We hope that this message finds everyone happy and healthy. You are all in our thoughts!
Much Love,
Tyson and Sara


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Another viewAnother view
Another view

The mist from the falls makes it hard to see just how big it really is.
RainforestRainforest
Rainforest

A path to a less known and smaller waterfall.
BrazilBrazil
Brazil

Looking across at the Brazilian side of the river.
RainbowsRainbows
Rainbows

Water+Gravity+Sunlight=Rainbows
ToucansToucans
Toucans

Kinda hard to see but they are there.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb