Buenos Aires, Day 4 - Last Day :(


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 1st 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 - BsAs

On our final day in this fabulous city, we took a more laid-back approach, and stayed somewhat close to our neighborhood of Palermo Viejo. We woke up and took a long walk to the MALBA - the Museum with Latin American art (not sure of the acronym). Mostly modern art, it was fun to see things from Latin American artists who don’t get much face time in the North American textbooks. We did see one of the famous Frida Kahlo’s, which are always interesting. I wish we could show you some photos, but the guards didn’t like it when we tried to take pictures J

After lunch, we headed over to the Rosedal - a gorgeous park with thousands of rose bushes - to rival the Buchart Gardens we had seen in Victoria (though thankfully, we didn’t have Neil with the Daimler-Benz tagging along). We decided to ride a very squeaky paddle boat around the lake which was fun, and towards the end ended up in the middle of a pack of middle school kids who were playing bumper cars with the boats. An irate man with a bullhorn was standing on shore yelling into the bullhorn any time one of them made a suspicious move… very entertaining!

Later that day we walked back to Palermo, to check out Palermo Hollywood, which is home to lots of movie studios and discos. Eventually we headed back to Palermo Viejo for some retail therapy. There are literally hundreds of boutiques there - some of them are so tiny it’s amazing they are actually businesses - some are the size of a walk in closet! All of them are filled with the latest trendy styles in clothes, although the women’s fashions might be somewhat of a stretch back home. Harold picked up some fancy duds though - now he fits right in with the locals as a Porteño! Of course we ended the afternoon back at Plaza Serrano for a Quilmes beer and some empanadas. When we get home, it will be hard to get used to not having that ritual!

That night we went to La Cabrera for dinner, which our concierge recommended to us. It was a local restaurant in Palermo Viejo that served the greatest steaks. What was really amazing though, was their concept of portion size. We both ordered a filet mignon, and a side order of fries to share. When they brought out our food, it included 8 steaks - 4 apiece - and each order came with 8 sides. Carmelized garlic, tiny onions, Dijon mashed potatoes, mushrooms, olive tapenade, etc. etc. etc. There wasn’t even room on our table for everything. It was the most delicious meal, with the best steaks we have ever had, and we both completely stuffed ourselves. We topped it off with two glasses of Chandon and a bottle of Malbec, and it was all for under $40. Crazy. This is typical of Argentina’s food quality, portion size and prices. You have to love this place!

Next morning we woke up early and headed to the falls for the next adventure…



Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.8kb