Sept. 25th: fish tacos


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
September 25th 2011
Published: October 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

18 48.74 S
152 07.03 W

Course: 245
Speed:.7 knots
Under sail: Mainsail
Wind: 12 knots 50 NE

Crew: Sleeping. Cyrus helming, brooke writing & on deck

Comments: Why is it that things happen when you are in the shower? When you have sudsed your hair and are washing your face... that is when the phone rings, there is a knock at the door... in this case, I hear a yell "FISH ON!". Yes, it happens, so no... I did not witness the reeling in of the gorgeous Wahoo at sunset.. but rushed on deck, soggy and holding my camera to snap a few photos of the beautiful large wahoo that Mac just reeled in. I can tell it is a group effort as sails have been changed, there is running, discussing... Cyrus is now at the helm though it is not his watch and the other men are retrieving tools of the trade... pliers (wahoos have lots of teeth), cutting board, knives, buckets, water.. and so on. Brett was just finishing the pasta dinner he made for the crew when this happened and sorts the galley so pasta does not fly across the room and rushes to deck, knife in hand and recipes boiling in his head. The sun is setting and the race is on... He fillets and fills 4 large zip locks with fresh beautiful fish, photos are taken, the sun sets and we enjoy our first dinner at sea... pasta. Tonight? Fish tacos I believe... who knows... we will see what Brett creates.

We are sailing deep. In other words, the winds is right on our rear or "up our chuff' as many say. With the ocean swells, this means that time at the helm is very focused. There is little room for error, or the wind spills from the sail or backs the sail if you are not vigilant. This can cause bad stuff to happen.. We want to avoid bad stuff so have made a few course changes and all is well. The new guys are getting to know Volpaia and enjoying the sail! Of course right now they are sleeping or trying to sleep... The sun just slowly awoke behind a layer of Grey clouds. Good morning~


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 986kb