June 27th, 2011 Blog


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
June 27th 2011
Published: October 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Volpaia Time: 15:00
Zulu Time: 00:30
13 32.61 S
141 57.70 W

Speed: 8.7
Wind: 152 knots 109 T
Course: 205 T
Seas: 3-5 ft
Destination: Makemo atoll in the Tuamotus
Crew: Liz, Colby & Shay resting, Brett helming, Alix writing, Cyrus on deck.

Comments:

So here we are back at seas. Sailing from the Marqueses to the Tuamotus.
We had super good sailing since we left this little bay in the Marqueses. The boat goes 9 knots with not even the full sail. The boat is perfectly leaning on the port side. It is funny to watch every one of us trying to deal with the heeling. We try to walk straight across the living room but I guess it is impossible. The one that handle it not very well this night was Shay. The port side is the worst side to sleep for Colby, Liz, Shay and I because we have to rest all our bodies in the lee cloth. The method are quite different. Liz takes all the cusions from the living room and lay on them, apparently it is working. Otherwise you have to put your leg into the lee cloth and try to deal with it. Anyways, Shay lee cloth went out and he fall down head first from the top bunk in a monumental sound his in the middle of the night. Liz wokes up and tries to help him, but he passes out a second time for one minute. I didn't heard the noise or anything but apprently Liz was pretty scared.
in the morning I could read in the log book little comments like "sorry Shay", "Shay fell from his bunk after he had a bad dream and his lee cloth tire down. He got a concussion and then passed out on the floor in his underwear"
I saw Shay this morning and he wasn't at his best dayS. I guess he had a pretty bad concussion, but as a man with a lot of pride he wouldn't hear Liz or me when we told him not to stay in the sun for his watch. Shay didn't even do his workout, which didn't happens for days!!! (he is becoming all muscular!!!) But after a full morning sleeping he seems again OK.
I guess his bad dream was coming from all the movies Colby and him were watching. Yesterday, as nobody could stay down for very long because it was the first day at seas after a long time, Colby and Shay decided to look at the end of the "back to the future trilogy". I mean: "back to the future 2" and "back to the future 3". I still don't get how they could do that because the boat was leaning a lot and because, back to the future 1 is soooo american, happy ending and cheesy that the 3 in two days it is a lot.
At last but not at least, we catches 2 fishes. We slow the boat down, Cyrus is getting the genoa and the main sail more open, Brett puilling out the fish, Colby and Shay getting out of "back to the future"... You know how much effort it is to take a fish out when the boat is 9 knots... a lot. And the two times we let them go. The first one was a skipjack and the second one a baby tuna. Anyways we have to much tuna on board because we baught 10 kg for 50 bucks in the Marqueses and we have to eat it now.
So I guess it is all for now and I hope land and civilization is going all well.

Alix


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 994.1kb