Airlie Beach/ Whitsundays/ kroombit/ fraser island


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
October 20th 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

we spent a week in airlie beach which was really nice, that's the longest we've been anywhere since coogee so we got quite settled. and it was a nice hostel aswell, the bedswere comfy, we had lots of space in the room and we even had a tv which was a real treat! the shower wasn't brilliant though.. We sunbathed by the lagoon alot and there was 30 mins of free internet in an internet cafe down the road and the computers in the hostel all had headphones and camreas so i got to speak to jonny on skype! there was a great irish bar down the road that we went to most nights and there was a live band playing. although it was the same band every night playing pretty much the same set list so that got a bit boring, we had quite a few movie nights pigging out on cookies and ice cream! on tuesday the 13th we got on our boat for the whitsundays. it was a tiny boat there were 18 of us and then 4 crew members who were all really nice. unfortunately because i'm afriad of the water i didnt go diving or snorkelling but we got off the boat to go and see whitehaven beach which is the second most beautiful in the world. The crew were taking loads of photos of us that we could buy at the end of the trip so i didnt bother taking my camera to the beach incase it got damaged but unfortunately when we got back to the boat, they didnt upload their photos properly on the computer and then cleared the camera without double checking they were all there so we lost over half of the photos of us on the second most beautiful beach in the world so i was not at all happy about that! Luckily one of the girls got some pics that i've put on my usb stick to print when i get home so you'll all have to wait til then because i promised i wouldnt put them on facebook since they are her photos. i was glad to get off the boat after two nights and three days on it, we all felt disgusting having not had showers so we were glad to get back to our comfy hostel again! then we got on the oz experience bus to a cattle ranch in kroombit which is a compulsory stop. it was quite a cool place but literally in the middle of nowhere! i had an alright time but it all felt a bit forced, they got us to dress up in stupid clothes and then they were like 'right, now we're going to do the limbo, now we're going to do a talent show, now we're going to go on the bull ride..' it felt like a childrens birthday party or something, i prefer to just see where the night leads rather than be told do this and have fun! we were only there one night and then we were on the bus again to hervey bay where we were staying one night and then going to fraser island. in the morning we had a two hour lecture about the rules and regulations of the island and what not to do and by the end of it we were sitting there saying 'ok... so can we please go and have some fun now, or is that not allowed?!' they were really strict about the 4X4 cars. it was a bit scary driving around (i didnt do any driving obviously!) and incredibly bumpy. we went to lake mckenzie which was beautiful and then to the campsite. we set up the tent to find that the zip on the door didnt work so we had to sleep two nights with the tent door open in a place where there are lots of spiders and creepy crawlies, some of which can kill you, so that was fun!!! there were also three aborginal people who worked on the campsite and they were fab to talk to, they had so many stories and they were so laid back and friendly and funny. the guy sat round the campfire with us and taught us how to get a sound out of a digeridoo (not sure how to spell that!) and then he said there were loads of spirits here because of all the history and he said 'here, go over there and i'll take your picture and you'll see them' and he took my picture, it was dark, and you could see all these light orbs around me, there were thousands and he said i must have alot of people looking after me. it was really interesting. we spent the next day seeing the island and everything and it was all really beautiful. i got back today, we left quite early because we were all so tired from camping and felt horrible from not showering and a couple of the girls didnt feel well so we came back and now i'm just putting all my photos on facebook! Nect stop is Noosa and then brisbane.

xXx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb