East of Aden (and Abettin’).


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Indian
May 6th 2009
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

PP:
24th April 2009: Nothing much to see yesterday or the day before, apart from when we passed through the strait between Yemen and Djibouti. We could see both sides, but fairly barren. Then we entered the Gulf of Aden and ship security was upgraded. From there until past the island of Socatra (off the “horn” of Somalia) we are not allowed outside on deck, no lights showing outside at night (apart from minimum navigation lights) and regular reports to task force warship HQ. All eastbound and westbound ships are timed to be in various bunches within this area at similar times, and task force warships have helicopters for quick response if called. The watch on the bridge is trebled for the time being. We also had a drill the day before yesterday to ensure we all understood the increased security protocol.

Today there was a fishing boat near which launched a couple of fast, small boats towards us - the Captain went to 22 knots, so then they veered towards a slower ship we had just passed. That ship veered left and right, then the small boats went away again. We don’t know if they were threats or not. Possibly fishing boats having a bit of “fun”?? The event and location was reported anyway.

Just after that we were close to a pod(?) of dolphins - photo opportunity missed as they submerged just as I pointed the camera, then we were past them. And then a whale very close on the port side which submerged just below the surface as we passed, so the camera only picked up a “smudge” of colour. Missed again!!

There is a small birthday party planned for tomorrow for one of the carpenters, plus the Captain’s birthday was a few days ago. The weather continues fine with smooth sea conditions.

26th April: We are now out of the higher security area - we left it yesterday morning. The Captain later told me he had heard mayday calls for three attacks by pirates behind us. We heard that one ship was hi-jacked. It seems to be true that the slower ships are at risk, and the bulk carriers more particularly.

The birthday party was held on the rear deck last night, starting before sunset. Quite a nice party, and The Captain wanted a “beach party” so later in the evening, a few of the crew went to the small swimming pool (that they fill with seawater when needed) and splashed around. There really isn’t enough room to do more than stay in one place and splash, but still they enjoyed themselves. We watched with a cold drink in hand! Slept in this morning - a good thing to do on a Sunday morning! There seemed to be quite a number of people who also slept in this morning (!?)
This Captain believes that he has good fortune with weather - and we can say that we have certainly experienced a lot more of the good weather and sea conditions than we have the rougher style throughout the voyage. It is again sunny with smooth seas, not much wind. We are seeing quite a lot of dolphin and flying fish activity as we approach the Maldives.
30th April: The last day of the month - the year is shrinking fast! The weather is still sunny with smooth seas and a slow smooth swell. As we approach southern Sumatra and Indonesia the dolphins etc. seem to have left us. One of the crew said that is because the Indonesians eat them(?). The continuing
Birthday Boys.Birthday Boys.Birthday Boys.

The Carpenter in orange - the Captain on his left.
fine weather means that since we have left the Aden security area, the Captain has many of the crew outside scraping rust, priming and painting. When I do a deck circuit I have to dodge wet paint, and rust dust from the grinders etc. All of the crew stop briefly to say hello as I pass, with big grins - there is a very friendly atmosphere on board. No, no, it can’t be because I will be leaving them soon - who said that?
We are due at Jakarta by about midday on Saturday. About a one day stop then onto Singapore by Tuesday sometime, provided there are no inadvertent delays or other problems in Jakarta. We’ll see.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Maintenance in the Rigging.Maintenance in the Rigging.
Maintenance in the Rigging.

In the Indian Ocean.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb