Day 8, Saturday, 23 June 2012


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » North Atlantic
June 23rd 2012
Published: June 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 8, 23 June 2012



We haven’t hit gold yet, but we’re getting into a good working routine. We usually start the day just before sunrise, sampling the water at 05:00, and end the day close to midnight, finishing off the evening sampling and preparing for to coming morning.



During the day we work loads, each on their own task, but everyone cooperating nicely. We usually have time to go out and look at the ocean, which seems different each time I look at it. The color of the water is constantly changing, mixing blues with greens, white caps with the reflection of the sun. The day before yesterday was the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, and boy, was it long. The sun rises at 5-ish, and at 11pm there are still some rays of light outside.



One of my main fears, when preparing for this cruise, was the small space and closeness to the same group of people for so long. While we’re only one week in, and have three more to go, I can say that instead of feeling trapped, I feel free. Being here frees you of worrying about all the troubles back home. Here you don’t have a bank account, don’t have the electricity bill to pay, and your car doesn’t break down. More importantly, this place simplifies everything. You realize that you don’t need much more than a bed to sleep in, some hot water to shower in, and good company. Here you can just be you, and it’s a wonderful feeling.



Shabat Shalom



Daniella


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb