Hobbits, Hakas & Heat


Advertisement
Oceania
December 9th 2013
Published: December 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Summer in the SouthSummer in the SouthSummer in the South

I can't see the Goretex label
OK. Just when we thought it was safe to venture out, it starts pissing it again. I'm not saying that kiwis wouldn't make good politicians but one tells us that they've had 3 months drought and today we were told that they have had the wettest spring in years. Any road up, we seem to have achieved the ideal balance of being in transit during the downpours, and outdoors when it is only drizzling. And have actually had some sunshine, to boot. Still...has to be better than the 6 hours of twilight in the freezer that is Scotland at the moment. Oh how we miss the motherland. Not. Well, that's the weather report. No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing....according to Billy Conolly, and he is right. Our waterproofs have earned their place in our 15 kg packs.

So, we couldn't possibly have lived in a house called Lothlorien for 30 odd years ( and some of them were pretty odd), and come to NZ and not gone to Hobbiton. OK so its just a movie set, but.....well, you have to be a Tolkien fan to know what I mean. I guess its a bit like an Auckland
Hobbit hole Hobbit hole Hobbit hole

What can I say....I was there!
Hibs fan (is there such a thing?) coming to Leith and going to Easter Road to watch a Derby... Only less painful.

And having an ale in THE Green Dragon...well that was a serious alpha closet moment. That was Rotoruo, which is also the heart of the NZ geothermal activity area. We have been steamed senseless, geysered generously, and pyroclastically pounded for the last 3 days. Seriously amazing though, and great to experience, even though we've seen it all in the pictures and nature programmes.

And then the Hakas, Pokas and Whakamumawaiwuwus. We have been magnificently Maorified. They have been superb guides and entertainers in the various excursions and cultural performances that are mandatory for any self respecting antipoedean tourist.

And clearly a very perceptive and intelligent race, as they picked yours truly to be the tribal chief of our tour bus, which conferred upon me the responsibility of leading my tribe to dinner, and then leading the singing on the way home. Not easy with a bunch of Ozzie's, Chinese, Indians, Norwegians, English and Irish. However, by the time we returned to Rotorua, they were reasonably proficient in Flower of Scotland (which the Maori bus driver apparently already knew by heart). Obviously we had been preceeded by previous Scots immigrants or visitors! What an influence on world affairs we are.

Tonight we went sailing on Lake Taupo, under real sail with a healthy wind. The weather was great and the scenery stunning, and rounded off by an an board BBQ with the biggest burger imaginable. Oh and local craft beer included. Things are looking up. Immense, and one of my personal highlights so far. Off to Napier tomorrow, then Wellington, then ferry to South Island....watch this space. ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

THE Green DragonTHE Green Dragon
THE Green Dragon

Yep...I was there too
Haka Haka
Haka

So Punk, do you feel lucky?
Maori performerMaori performer
Maori performer

Daughter of the Chief.....Miss chief?
Another old geyserAnother old geyser
Another old geyser

..and a geothermal eruption.
Steamin againSteamin again
Steamin again

Thermal valley, Taupo
even more steameven more steam
even more steam

I'm running out of steam (captions)
Sloop John  BSloop John  B
Sloop John B

That's B..arbary
The BarbaryThe Barbary
The Barbary

Moored up for barby. Barbary barby and bar.
Aarrh...Jim LadAarrh...Jim Lad
Aarrh...Jim Lad

Shiver me timbers, etc etc etc
Prancing on the ProwPrancing on the Prow
Prancing on the Prow

Hawkes Bay in a plastic cup...COME ON!
Gourmet BurgerGourmet Burger
Gourmet Burger

I can't even get my mouth round the lettuce!!


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1005s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb