Waitomo, NZ


Advertisement
Oceania
March 11th 2012
Published: March 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Waitomo Glow Worm CaveWaitomo Glow Worm CaveWaitomo Glow Worm Cave

Just leaving cave. No pictures allowed
We left out of Auckland via GreatSights tour bus and made our way to Waitomo. Something very cool awaits us all there.

The day has been overcast, at times light rain and foggy in the mountains. Our travel to Waitomo takes about about 3 hours. Most of the trip is on the highway - so the bus is cruising. Our drive/guide tells stories and recites facts about NZ - both past and present. My head is swimming with trying to remember all he tells us. I do remember the houses in Auckland cost about $300,000 to $400,000NZ and as you get out in the country prices go down to about $200,000NZ. He tells us about the different types of farms in NZ - sheep, cattle, alpaca, osterich, angora rabbits and oddly, deer. In the 70's people were complaining about the deer population. They hunted them with helicopters at one point. Then it was suggested they capture and farm the deer. NZ exports deer meat and pelts. Sheep farming still exists (of course), but is not as prominent as cattle and dairy farms. He tells us love stories and stories about the colonization of the British in the late 1700's.
RotoruaRotoruaRotorua

Restaurant Row

We finally arrive at Waitomo. What's here? - The Glowworm Caves! We walk through about 600 meters of limestone formations which has been in the making over 30 million years. The cave is well lit, with stone walkways and wide corridors - thank goodness or I would have turned around before starting.

Our walk takes us to the boats. We quietly glide through an underground river. Our gaze is held upward by the green glow of the worms. It looks like a swirling galaxy. Incredible. Check out Arachnocampa Luminosa to get details about the worms. It is definately worth the side trip to see these caverns.

Our final destination is Rotorua. We arrive about 2pm and check into the Ibis Hotel. Nice, clean hotel with friendly staff and quick service.

Allison has had a fever off and on over the past 24 hours. She is such a trooper. You know how kids are - they act like they are not sick and just keep up that boundless energy. Anyway when we get to Rotorua Bill found a nearby pharmacy and got some fever reducing meds for her. After about a 3 hours rest and the fever broken, we are out and about again.

There is a quaint restaurant area just around the corner from our hotel (which by the way is just on Lake Rotorua). There are restaurants of several nationalities and we can not choose so we go to three. We started at "The Brew" for a beer, cappuccino and hot chocolate. Next stop is a fabulous Indian restaurant. We order a seafood appetizer which includes several choices. I think I need to learn more about Indian food - fell in love with the whole platter. Then we went to a Thai restaurant and ordered more appetizers. We forgot where we were a few times, but we knew we were somewhere special!

I've learned a few Kiwi terms and I'm trying desperately to learn the pronunciation of Maori words. Kiwi's say "no worries" alot. Ketchup is "tomato sauce" and a flashlight is a "torch light".

Tonight I blog from a desktop computer becuase no Wi-fi is available from hotel. Notice how I have less typo's? Sorry about earlier posts - I promise to proof read.

Tomorrow is a busy day. We will attend a Hangi in the evening.

Advertisement



11th March 2012

Happy Sunday or Monday, not sure!
Yay! Love your updates! I'm going to look up the worm things and a few places that you mentioned on google! Sure hope Allison feels better. She IS a trooper! Love and hugs to all! <3

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb