Hi from Port Vincent, Yorke Peninsular


Advertisement
Oceania
May 27th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We had a good day around the Barossa yesterday, driving around the little towns and the vineyards. We once more went to Maggie Beer's farm shop for coffee and to see her verjuice cooking demonstration. This time it wasn't in the TV kitchen but in a corner of the shop as the kitchen was in service for some earnest people setting a photo shoot for a plate of quince jelly and a piece of cheese.

And so we left the Barossa and are now touring the Yorke Peninsular, keeping the ocean to the left as it will be for our trip from now on. We feel that our trip is just beginning as the last week has been going over old ground.

It's a pretty drive here so far - we are at Port Vincent at a caravan park which covers both sides of the point, very pretty. I put on the washing machine - a lady in the laundry told me she and most of the people here had been here since Anzac Day 'chasing the mullet' as they do every year - a long time to be in one quiet little place.

We stopped for awhile
one of the old buildings hereone of the old buildings hereone of the old buildings here

so many old South Australian homes and buildings out of this stone or blue stone
at Ardrosson - famous for the invention of the stump jump plough - in fact the very invention is in the museum there but unfortunately it's 'only open Sundays except by appointment'. !! The area also supposedly is the biggest barley producer in the world - and that is what's growing in the pretty green rolling paddocks. Most of the buildings, like a lot of South Australia, are in stone - limestone or bluestone, very quaint and with a European look.

I think this area must be very busy with holidaymakers in summer so we consider ourselves very fortunate to be about to sit in the sun, while it's quiet, and just look at the water lapping on the beach.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb