Getting there...what a palava!


Advertisement
Oceania
December 4th 2005
Published: December 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

'Honolulu Grill' in Manly'Honolulu Grill' in Manly'Honolulu Grill' in Manly

Breakfast in Manly with the gang!
Arrived at New Zealand airport at the social hour of 4:00 in the morning, a little weary after a 14 hour flight from Los Angeles to New Zealand.

I had been fortunate enough to be sitting next to some screaming kiddies, the little girl in particular had a fascination with prodding my nose and putting her face right up next to mine and a Swedish man on my right who snored, was on the larger side of life and kept using my head as a pillow! Nice.
Luckily for me the row of seats I was sitting on was smack bang in front of the huge TV screen that was catering for our entire section of the plane. No amount of squinty eyed viewing was helping sadly. And to top it all the films left a lot to be desired.
Ooh and how could I forget the baby bizarrely called 'Coco.' Bizarre because as you all know this is my nickname! Damn you seat number 27F!
I never fully appreciated that the joy with babies is that they need feeding every 4 hours. So the mother, English, I'm ashamed to admit, would flop out her boob intermittently throughout the night
Our first bush walk!Our first bush walk!Our first bush walk!

Sydney, Carrie and I in front of a supposedly shark infested lake! Nice.
much to the joy of the Swedish man on my right!

The final part of the journey from New Zealand to Sydney went past like a dream. No screaming kids, no large bright TV screen, no rubbish films, no larger than life snoring Swedish man. Just a young Japanese guy who smelt like he hadn't had a shower in a few years, but I'll let that one go. It was definitely an upgrade from the first leg of the trip.
It seemed like heaven. The seats were bigger and comfier. Each seat had its own TV screen with tonnes of movies and games....come on Tetris! Better food and a window seat! What more can a girl ask for?
So there I was, comfy and relaxed and settling in to watch the new Wallace and Gromit movie when the steward tapped me on the shoulder and offered me a glass of chilled freshly squeezed orange juice. Bliss.

The arrivals lounge at Sydney airport was bustling and I couldn't see Lauren in the crowd anywhere and seemingly Carrie and Sydney couldn't see me! Carrie was looking for two blond girls, even though Lauren is dark!

I eventually caught their
Two girlies feeling tired!Two girlies feeling tired!Two girlies feeling tired!

Just have to say that we both hate this photo of us but its our first picture together so it seems only right to add it in.
eye, and Lauren appeared from the crowd, looking decidedly relieved to see a familiar face. It transpired that the poor thing had slept in the airport all night because she thought that my flight got in at 6:00am. I actually came through the gates at about 9:00am in the end. Poor wee Lauren Saunders! 😞

All the troubles of the past 24 hours were quickly forgotten as we tried to take in the sights, sounds and warmth of Sydney from the back seat of Carrie and Sydney’s car as we made our way to 25 Willunga Crescent.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

All smiles in darling harbour!All smiles in darling harbour!
All smiles in darling harbour!

Ventured out of Forestville for a peek around Darling Harbour. Beautiful sunny day.
Our first Aussie BBQOur first Aussie BBQ
Our first Aussie BBQ

Lauren, Robbie, Sydney, Carrie and Kirstin (a friend of Robbie's from England) all enjoying a BBQ made by our lovely Aussie family.
Blue Fish girlies night!Blue Fish girlies night!
Blue Fish girlies night!

went with Rob and lauren to BlueFish, James' old restaurant for a meal and BIG cocktails.
Barney!Barney!
Barney!

Is it a Teddy bear or is it a dog?! He's the cutest, fluffiest dog this side of the equator! Look at his little trousers!
Nicer than Calverly Park?Nicer than Calverly Park?
Nicer than Calverly Park?

Not a pikey to be found! Heaven!
Obligatory shotObligatory shot
Obligatory shot

okay okay, so it is pretty spectacular!
Quite disturbing!Quite disturbing!
Quite disturbing!

oh the australians and their beautiful Christmas decorations. Not only are they totally out of place in the blistering heat but this one is decapitated!
Bus Stop jauntsBus Stop jaunts
Bus Stop jaunts

a worryingly large amount of time in Sydney was spent waiting for buses to take us on the mythical pilgrimage to Warringah Mall!
Amnesty BannerAmnesty Banner
Amnesty Banner

Apparently Amnesty may gather all the banners from across Australia and use them to wrap around the Parliament buildings which would be something to see!
Robin and Carrie at Sunday BrunchRobin and Carrie at Sunday Brunch
Robin and Carrie at Sunday Brunch

smiling in anticipation of the fruit and icecream pancakes we just ordered!
Hark! what is that i hear?!Hark! what is that i hear?!
Hark! what is that i hear?!

someone telling you not to pull that pose maybe?


Tot: 1.655s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 17; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb