Ha'apai-ness is relative


Advertisement
Tonga's flag
Oceania » Tonga » Ha'apai
January 27th 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Secret South to Ha'apainess


Our route to happinessOur route to happinessOur route to happiness

The plane seated less than thirty, and flew about 1km above the sea. Oh, also, we had to sit at the front of the plane, to balance it.
On Lifuka, in the Ha’apai island group, a chance encounter led to the semi-mothballed arts and craft centre being opened for us. An elderly Tongan lady showed us how to weave with strips of dried tree bark. Her birth-marked arm and crooked arthritic finger worked faster than we could comprehend, creating a patterned mat. It was getting late, and she had to be persuaded to let Mina finish the job another day. Which she did, with admirable patience and skill.

Although Ha’apai is now a relative backwater in Tongan terms, it was the site of two notable pieces of British naval history. The mutiny on the Bounty took place in these Tongan waters, in 1789. Almost twenty years later, the privateer ship Port-au-Prince was ransacked, burnt and sunk, just in the bay by where we stayed.

These strange foreigners, arriving by sea, gave rise to the term ‘palangi’, which is still in use today, to describe white people, in this case, us. The Tongans believed the ships’ sails, and hence their crews, were attached to the sky. Hence they, and we, are dubbed ‘palangi’ – (people) from the sky. It was quite common to be casually referred to as palangi, or to have children say palangi as they greet you hello.

Port-au-Prince’s submerged anchor was recently found by the local divemaster, Brian, a cheery helpful chap from a distant land named Northern Ireland. Brian took us for a couple of excellent dives. We enjoyed the spectacular underwater scenery of pinnacles, narrow channels and wide openings. Not forgetting an abundance of hard and soft coral, and lots of other aquatic life including a huge wrasse, a reef shark and a banded sea snake, to name but three.

Despite us both being under the weather with sore throats and heads for most of the second week, it felt great to be back underwater – just us two and Brian, and healthy doses of ibruprofen. Thankfully, it transpired that we didn’t have dengue fever. Whatever it was, by the time we shook it off, it was time to leave the secret south, and head back to the northern hemisphere for the first time in almost four months.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Different kind of feedingDifferent kind of feeding
Different kind of feeding

Free-running pigs were everywhere on Lifuka.
Uoleva IslandUoleva Island
Uoleva Island

Taken from the dive boat.
Pangai BBQ, Lifuka islandPangai BBQ, Lifuka island
Pangai BBQ, Lifuka island

Chicken and hot dogs frying in a gallon of grease. Yummy. Even Mina was tempted.
Mango picking the Ha'apai wayMango picking the Ha'apai way
Mango picking the Ha'apai way

The kids eat the mangos unripe, to beat the fruit bats.
If the mango doesn't drop, then you climb the treeIf the mango doesn't drop, then you climb the tree
If the mango doesn't drop, then you climb the tree

This was just opposite our lodgings. Great entertainment, better than TV.
Ben eating said chickenBen eating said chicken
Ben eating said chicken

Surrounded by the villages' dogs
Cycling the length of Lifuka and Foa islands Cycling the length of Lifuka and Foa islands
Cycling the length of Lifuka and Foa islands

Wherever we go, Ben finds bikes to ride.
View of Uoleva island from Lifuka islandView of Uoleva island from Lifuka island
View of Uoleva island from Lifuka island

Another couple tried to walk this, a few hours after this photo was taken. They lost their bags, and nearly much more.
Ancient rock carvingAncient rock carving
Ancient rock carving

Recently discovered (not by this boy), these carvings are the same as ones only found in Hawaii. An anthropological puzzler.
Crazy goal posts.Crazy goal posts.
Crazy goal posts.

Tonga seems to have invented a new sport.
Inside the local Methodist churchInside the local Methodist church
Inside the local Methodist church

Note the word for hmyn - himi. All Tongan words must end in a vowel.
Weaving master at work.Weaving master at work.
Weaving master at work.

We had to convince her to stop. She was determined to finish, even though it was late.
Virginia Watkins' museum collectionVirginia Watkins' museum collection
Virginia Watkins' museum collection

This American established this amazing collection of Tongan art and craft and housed it in a small museum, only for it to fall into disarray when she died. It's been temporarily re-housed, where we stayed.
Another beautiful deserted beach.Another beautiful deserted beach.
Another beautiful deserted beach.

We actually accessed this one via the airport runway.
Same beach looking southSame beach looking south
Same beach looking south

It's where the eel swam right past us.
Strange aquatic creatureStrange aquatic creature
Strange aquatic creature

Curryfish - a type of Sea Cucumber - looks like a mobile draught excluder.
Another sea creatureAnother sea creature
Another sea creature

Brian took this photo...of a Lizardfish
Reef sharkReef shark
Reef shark

Totally harmless!


28th February 2012

great trip....
guys, this is being a great trip. amazing pictures and tales of your adventures... enjoy the road. warmest regards. Hussein
28th February 2012

Happiness
It looks as if you had the recipe for much happiness here! including bike riding! The beaches look fabulous, all the more so for being deserted. (But I'm intrigued to know what befell the couple who lost their bags) The photos of underwater creatures are amazing, not like any I've seen before. Keep them coming please!
2nd March 2012

Who's who?
The strange aquatic creature is a type of Sea Cucumber called a Curryfish, the pic I took is a Lizard fish, called so because their teeth show on the outside when their mouth is closed like a dinosaur, the sea flower is a Featherstar, if you look inside you may find symbiotic Clingfish or under the feet you can usually find Elegant Squat Lobsters (a real photo challenge!). The shark was a White-Tip at Fantasia, my favourite dive site! Thanks for the great dives and keep the photos coming.
2nd March 2012

Brings back many memories
I was a US Peace Corps Volunteer 98-00 in Ha 'apai and I really miss those views. Sorry to hear Virginia died.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb