Pago Pago - where?


Advertisement
Samoa's flag
Oceania » Samoa
February 15th 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 11 February
During three days at sea we crossed the Equator, marked by King Neptune and his Mermaids coming on board.

Tuesday 13 February
Today we did American Samoa - got the T-shirt and the fridge magnet! American Samoa is the only US territory south of the equator, 2600 miles from Hawaii, lying between Fiji and Tahiti. Tutuila, the largest of the seven islands that comprise American Samoa, is a pretty, volcanic island, green and verdant, surrounded by a coral reef ecosystem. Its harbour, named Pago Pago, is one of the largest natural harbours in the South Pacific.
It is seriously hot and humid.
The Polynesian inhabitants are proud of their culture and we were welcomed with fruit punch and a display of island music, song and dance. We travelled round in colourful little buses decorated with tropical flowers.
Many various churches abound, Christ and the Latter Day Saints being most popular.
Also noticeable were the mimosa trees adorned with yellow ribbons for the homecoming of their soldiers in Iraq - rather incongruous in this idyllic paradise.

Tomorrow is Wednesday 14 February (Happy Valentine’s Day!). We go to bed and wake up on Friday 16 February, having crossed the International Date Line. How time flies when you are having fun!

Onward to NZ…



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



15th February 2007

Samoan welcome
At first I mistook Laurie doing his own Samoan welcome complete with local garb, then I saw his eyes were the wrong colour ...... his wife, being already a star attraction, could not possibly be confused with anybody.
15th February 2007

Glad to see you are having a great time. At least the weather is a lot better than it is back in UK. Have fun.

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb