World Cruise 4


Advertisement
Samoa's flag
Oceania » Samoa » Upolu » Apia
February 9th 2023
Published: February 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

World Cruise Part 4



Publishing this on 9th February.



GMT+13!

On our way to Auckland. Yesterday was in Samoa. Supposed to be Fiji tomorrow but instead heading straight for Auckland. There is a category 3 cyclone brewing east of Queensland heading towards Fiji. Forecast 7.5 m waves/ swell and 60-80 mph winds. Basically we’re running for harbour and hope that we can get into Auckland before it gets too rough. An extra day in Auckland will be good.



Thanks for all the blog messages. Great to hear from you all. Will try and respond, prob What’s App.



More news in a few days!



Monday 30th January



Sea Day





21 degrees N. 152 degrees 299 n miles to Honolulu

185 n miles NW of Hawaii Island

The Hawaiian island stretch 1500 miles over 137 islands

The population was reduced to 40,000 in 1890 due to infections brought in by the Europeans



European Explorers of the Pacific. Dougie.



Modern explores are going down under the Pacific. - at 35.504 feet , 5 miles, the Mariana Trench is the deepest in all the oceans



Magellan was the first European to find a passage to the Pacific. He was Portuguese but King Henry the Navigator , the Portuguese king wouldn’t fund him as he was more interested in finding the Spice Islands to the East.

So Magellan went to seek funding from the King of Spain. He set off with a fleer of ships and after various problems including mutiny and losing some ships he eventually got to the southern tip of South America. He tried all the passages he came across until eventually he found a channel that went all the way though to the western ocean, the big sea and named it The Straights of Magellan

The ships that remained carried on sailing west and eventually came to the Spice islands around the Philippines and Malacca Islands .They we’re very wary in these seas now as they needed to stay away from the Portuguese ships. Unfortunately Magellan was killed but eventually one ship made it back to Spain with 20 men.



Francis Drake was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe, the first Englishman to see the Pacific, in 1573, 50 years after Bilbao saw it after crossing the isthmus of Panama. Francis Drake was sponsored by Sir Christopher Hatton and was the equivalent of a conquistador. He raidedSpanish ships taking the gold etc that the Spanish ad stolen from the Incas of Peru and was basically a pirate!

In 1577 he left Britain with 5 ships altho 2 were lost on the way across to S America.

He sailed along the Argentinian coast, looking for the Magellan staights. And eventually found his way though to thePacific, although he lost 2 more ships in heavy storms. There he renamed his ship The Golden Hind. He managed to capture a Spanish ship, as his galleon was similar to te Spaniards and stole their gold. He followed the coast as far as California where he beached his ship to clean the hill of Barbados on June 7th 1579.( Now San Francisco Bay)

Drake continued along the N American coast and sailed west, missing the Hawaiian islands but finding the islands of Micronesia, the spice islands and Malaccas. The spices he brought were as valuable as gold!

He became a favourite of Elizabeth 1st.

Captain Cook sailed around to the Pacific in the 1760s the first Englishman to find the Hawaiian islands. He found the people very friendly. He initially thought the islanders had arrived by accident, where could they possibly have come from in the middle of the ocean.

He also sailed to Tahiti, where he met one of the high priests of the island, Tupaia. He found him a very clever and interesting person who quickly learned English. He was in fact a star navigator. Cook had heard of some islands to the South and east and Tupaia said he could take Cook there. He had the memories of all the ancestors and could read the stars.

After 2 months they came to New Zealand and Cook was surprised to find the natives could communicate with Tupaia, in fact it was practically the same language. Then he realised that the islands must have been discovered by the same peoples who had moved across the Pacific at different times and in fact the whole of the Pacific had the same language and culture.

Scientists have since discovered a navigator in Fiji with old memories and an oral history and with his help have built a seafaring canoe which they sailed with him to Tahiti with no maps, to be met by thousands of people on the beach.

On Cook’s 3rd voyage when he had been looking for the NW Passage via Alaska he came to Hawaii hoping to do some repairs. Unfortunately after a misunderstanding with his men and some islanders who were having a religious ceremony Cook himself went onto land and was killed. He was given a funeral of a chief and buried on the island.

William Bligh ( of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) was captaining the Resolution, one of the ships and returned the ship to England with the news.

Cooks journals are available to read on the internet.

More and more Europeans came into the Pacific and in the 19th century it became a favourite place for whalers.



The Ukebox Boys were on in the Palladium in the evening, 4 young men from Liverpool playing ukulele and banjo and were just good fun, and very talented too.



Tuesday 31st January



Hawaii



Roger off on excursion in a submarine. Was hoping to do early immigration with him to help me but was told had to go with his group aid had to wait til last and get assistance with a porter. So I spent the morning playing with wifi, talking to my sisters and sending messages until last passengers were called. It was pretty swiftly done in the end with the Hawaiian’s being a lot more friendly and efficient than the immigration in Fort Lauderdale. I was soon back on the ship, posted my blog, had lunch and went to see the film Blue Hawaii until Roger came back. He had had a couple of hours free at Waikiki beach after the very enjoyable dive. Difficult to get pictures as sea so blue blended in with fish. Said it reminded him of Benidorm!

4 pm we were off on a trip together to a Luau, it turned out to eat a sea life centre about 30 mins along the coast. The driver gave us a commentary all the way, past some interesting features, once out of the city. The road wound along the coast with the sea on one side with lots of beaches and coves and the mountains on the other . The mountains were very steep ad had deep valleys cutting into the side, covered in vegetation.

The North Shore has the biggest waves in the world, up to 100 feet. We also passed by Diamond Head crater which is a tourist attraction. You can walk up to the top of the crater which is the largest cone on the island left over from the volcano.

It was very slick at the venue, vouchers for drinks, help for access if required, lots of activities going on, making of lei, the flower garlands, instructions on how to fish with weighted fishing nets, onto make the instruments used in the dancing, etc accompanied by live music from the stage.

Then it was time for the pig to be raised from the earthly fire pit of hot stones where I had been wrapped in banana leaves to cook all day and taken off to be shredded for the buffet supper.

There must have been 200 to 300 people there but it didn’t take long for the line to get through and we soon enjoyed an interesting meal of pork with salad, rice, noodles, sweet potato, bread rolls followed by some kind of cake, all very tasty.

After supper came the entertainment. Before it was dark a guy climbed a ver high coconut palm to pick a coconut, which was brought to the stage for a demonstration of how to take off the husk ( which is used for all sorts of things) and then open it. This was followed by the dancers coming though the diners with candles and burning torches, and fanfares. They performed several different Polynesian dances from different islands, Tahiti, Samoa, Maori, Hawaiian with storytelling commentary and songs. The 17 year old fire dancing champion was particularly impressive.

It finished about 8 pm and had proved to be a much better evening than I had really expected. It had been very well organised.



Wednesday 1st February



Hawaii Day 2

A very frustrating day. Disembarked after breakfast and took shuttle bus to Mall. Largest open air Mall in World and 7th biggest, over 300 stores.

When we got off bus we queried where we could get a taxi Togo somewhere else, or catch another bus, which was was Waikiki, for example. The tour guide indicated where we could cross over the road which was by the beach, one way to Downtown, one way back to ship. We decided to give the Mall a whirl first and eventually found our way in via the zebra crossing walkway through the undermall car park. It was indeed pretty impressive, so we browsed for a couple of hours.



We eventually found our way back to the starting point, Roger needing a drink at the food court.We had a distinct lack of communication, Roger thinking we weren’t going anywhere else and so getting himself some food and me declining anything as I thought we’d be going somewhere else!

I had been hoping to go along the beach to eat, but Roger had now had enough and wanted to go back to the ship.

When we got back to the ship I noticed the taxi rank, which was the opposite side to the buses and I wish I’d noticed before as would have preferred to do our own thing rather than go to the mall.

I felt I’d wasted an opportunity to see more of the island, being unlikely to come again and was disappointed with the day.

Afterwards realised the ship had docked in a different place to where it had been expected, and the local transport was therefore in different place . Info given on destination talk didn’t tally with what found on quayside. Suggested to cruise destination staff that shuttle bus go from mall along to Waikiki before going back to ship to avoid the crossing of bust road near the Mall stop.



Set sail again soon after 6 pm and literally sailed off into the sunset, with some pretty good photos.



Ben Makusi was on the stage at the theatre, a New Zealander tenor who used to live in UK with a lovely voice, Roger enjoyed so much bought his CDs.



More Hawaii facts -


<ul class="ul1" style="caret-color:� color:� -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.3); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;"><li class="li3" style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal;">The islands are the tips of a large chain of volcanoes.<li class="li3" style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal;">They have verdant mountain ranges with lots of waterfalls.<li class="li3" style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal;">Kauai was where Jurassic Park was filmed<li class="li3" style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal;">Dole Pineapple plantation is the last pineapple farm on Oahu<li class="li3" style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal;">Pearl Harbour was bombed at 7.55 am on Sunday 7th December 1941 by 183 Japanese war planes. 2000 were killed.<li class="li3" style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal;">1127 men are entombed in the Arizona which sank on that day.<li class="li3" style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal;">Veterans can request to be buried with their comrades in the ship.


The islands society before the Europeans came had a king who was called Kameamea. Each king had the same name. The first king wanted to be king of all the islands and went to war to overthrow the ruler of each of the islands. One of the kings was very interested in the ships of the Europeans as they came exploring and thought their firepower would be helpful and so captured one and got the captains of the ship to show him how everything worked. They stayed on island and became advisers to king and married native girls.



Missionaries came in the 1820 s and started converting the locals. They were aghast at the lack of clothing that was worn.

Interesting lecture from Dr Linda Bradley, scholar, author , researcher into textiles and clothing of Oceania.

What the natives were wearing was made from the fibres of the paper mulberry tree. The fibres were beaten and pounded together for a long time until they became like fabric, similar to the little sheets that are used in a dryer and called a tapa. Originally the result was used to wrap around like a sarong for the women, the longer it was the higher the status of the person.



The missionary women wore the clothing of the early 1800s of course, long high necked dresses with long sleeves. They also brought woven fabric to the islands which the native women liked. The missionaries had to get permission from the king for the native women to wear the different garments that were introduced, a long dress with a yoke neckline and long sleeves which was called a Holaku. The more decorated the gargent the more high status the person. These became quite a status garment. The Holoku Ball is a high point for the native Hawaiians who have Holoku passed down in their families.



The Aloha shirt has become a traditional garment for men. It’s design had several influences, western style sailors shirts, Japanese fabrics, Chinese, Filipino. Originally made from the Tapa fabric it would have Hawaiian prints stamped on it, worn loose over trousers. Now considered a collectable art form.



In the mid 19th century labour was imported from Japan, Philippines and China.

Only 12% of the population have Hawaiian ancestry.

The missionaries and Americans eventually took over the islands from the Monarchy at the end of the 19th century and sidelined the natives.



In 1959 Hawaii became the 50th state of the USA.

In 1993 Clinton signed an apology for the wrongful overthrow of the monarchy 100 years previously.



As you can tell I have found Hawaii the most fascinating place, culture, people, geology.



Thursday 2nd February



Sea day



9 am. 25 degrees C. 17 N. ENE Force 4

Bearing 204degrees. 159 W. 17.5 knots



10 am Muster drill.

Maritime law says every 30 days at sea must have a practice drill. It turns out that about 5 or 6 people refused to muster, despite the captain giving them several chances. I have heard that they are being put ashore in Samoa!



Destination talk Apia, capital of Samoa.



2 main islands make up Samoa, ad several smaller ones. The capital of Samoa is Apia an Upolu island. It is the only proper town, with population of 40,000.



Samoa was settled in 1000BC. The country was named after after the sacre chicken, Sa - Moa. It is ruled by a Matai system of chiefs from early times that still exists today. These men are the chiefs of the family groups in all the villages. There are 362 villages on the island.



The traditional dress is the Lava lava, or sarong and the body tatau or tattoo for the men. The body tattoo is usually a trouser tattoo, which takes 6 months to print. There are very artistic designs with significant meanings.



The women wear the Pulatasi,a dress which may be one or 2 pieces.



The island was visited by German Traders around 1800 and 1900 became a German colony. In WW1 the German governor surrendered t New Zealand without a fight.



Robert Louis Stevenson lived in Samoa. He was famous as a great man, was well loved as someone who told stories. He bought 162 acres of bush land for £200 where he lived in his house Vailima. He died on December 3rd 1944. His house was opened to the public on December 5th 1944.



There is a cathedral in the town which has some beautiful frescos in the dome.

Excursions include the Vaoala vanilla form, the Sopoago waterfall and the lush greenery of the botanical gardens.

Aggie Greys hotel is opposite the harbour. It is said that Bloody Mary in the story/ film of South Pacific is said to be based on her..

Local souvenirs include mats, cloths, wooden objects, drums, bowls, sarongs, shirts, woven baskets and bags.

Villages have open sided houses called Fale. and larger ones as meeting places. They often have woven mats on the floors.

Beach fales are beach huts on legs with thatched roofs.

There are 153 beaches on Samoa, mostly on the south side of the island.

Cava ceremonies are held where a ceremonial beverage is shared to promote unity and respect among groups.

Cava plant, is pounded to remove the pulp which is then mixed with water and taken as a drink. It leaves one feeling calm and has a slightly numbing effect and a feeling of relaxation.

A local delicacy is the insides of sea cucumbers which may be packed into bottles….



Later in the went to a flamenco guitar concert by Sam Moore, who had trained for 5 years in Seville.



Friday 3 rd February



Sea Day



9am. 13 N. 162 W. 25 degrees C



Dr Ben Aldiss , expert in Ecology, talk today

Plants and Animals of Hawaii



OK, Hawaii overload. But it was interesting.

Just to say the Yellow Hibiscus, pua aloalo, is the state flower which grows nowhere else in the world.

The State mammal is the Hawaiian Hoary Bat and is the only indigenous species of mammal.

There was lots more information of course, fascinating as usual.



Another flamenco guitar concert in the afternoon and then the evening show in the theatre was Applause, a tribute to The Musicals, I gave up trying to count how many songs were covered plus a complete finale of Les Miserables. Absolutely fabulous.



Saturday 4th February



Sea Day



8am. 4N. 27.5 degrees C NEForce 4

165W. Bearing 201 degrees. Speed 16.5 knots



Equator is getting closer.



Housekeeping…….sent Roger to Q at the laundry for when it opens at 8 am. Already 2 people there at 7.45! As 3 machines all worked out fine and sorted by 9.30. You have no idea what an achievement this is!



Destination talk. - Fiji



Maybe I’ll fill you in on Fiji another time….



In the afternoon there was a Crossing the line ceremony.

Neptune and the Aquatic Court came onboard to grant permission to cross the equator. The ceremony was held by the back pool on deck 9 and the captain and officers had to kiss the fish aided by a bucket of cold water, watched by a very large number of the passengers crowded around the pool and the surrounding upper overlooking deck. The captain ended up in the pool to avoid kissing Neptune!!!……..



Evening entertainment was Nick Russoniello, an Australian instrumentalist who played the saxophone and clarinet. He was billed as Australia’s No 1 performer and his enjoyment of performing was obvious. He was very,very good.



11pm. 1 N. Temperature 26.5 degrees C

165 W. Bearing 202 degrees

Speed 16.5 knots. Wind E Force 6



Predicted to cross the equator at approximately 2 am



The clocks are to go Forward 23 hours to GMT +13. at 2am

This takes us into the correct time zone for Samoa.

Today has been 4th February

Tomorrow is 6th February!!



Yes I know we haven’t crossed the Date line yet! Bad luck for the lady whose birthday was on the 5th!





Monday 6th February



10am. 2 S. EForce 6

167 W. 27 degrees C

Bearing 201. Speed 17.4 knots



Destination talk. Auckland



Known as City of Sails.



12000 miles from UK Auckland is the largest city on the North Island.

The North Island has beaches, mountains, geysers, boiling mud, forest reserves, and more sheep than people.

It is on the boundary of 2 tectonic plates, one being forced over the other hence the geysers and thermal valley at Rotorua.



The Maori didn’t ave a written language and so used carvings to tell their history.

Auckland is mainly European, British and Scottish with some Dutch. Only 15% are Māori.

I million people live in Auckland which is an international city.



Roger has booked an American Cup Sailing experience here, soooooo looking forward to it!



Lots of other activities to do here.



This should keep you all going for now. Will continue in a day or 2. Writing this up on my iPad is difficult as iPad keeps overheating in the sun. Still keeping busy with talks and concerts, films and shows. Enjoying every minute.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb