World Cruise Part 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
January 31st 2023
Published: January 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

World Cruise Part 3



Thursday January 19th



Sea day

10am. Bearing 301 degrees, Temperature 27 degrees C

7 degrees N. Speed 20.3 knots

82 degrees W. Force 2. Calm seas



Travelling parallel to Central American coastline.



There was another talk about the Panama Canal - The Geological and Entomological challenges of building the Canal.



Again, very interesting to all you scientists and geographers out there. Revision for us as came through the canal returning from S America in 2018. Never ceases to be fascinating how canal was constructed.

Originally baby of De Lessops, (Frenchman who managed the construction of the Suez Canal )with some input from his son and Monsieur Eiffel too . Thought would be able to dig out land and go through at ground level like Suez but it was an elevation of 210 feet at the highest point, about three quarters of the way across. They made several attempts during the years 1884 to 1891. However they failed due to several reasons, - funding, geological challenges, and the loss of 22,000 men through malaria. In fact De Lessops was prosecuted in France for misappropriation of funds among other things and imprisoned for a while.



In 1904 the Americans began their attempt, and with theee consecutive engineers finally completed the canal in 1914. There were Route wars to begin, where to situate the canal, 5 were considered, one possible in Nicaragua, but there were volcano issues along other routes and further distances, less in Panama. The American engineers realised they would have to go up and over, by building locks.

There was complex strata and layers of rocks, - limestone, coral, sand, gravel, lava, clay, all at competing and confounding angles.

The weather was an important issue, Panama has 2 seasons, Dry, December to March and Green when it rains practically every day. From Colon in N to Panama in S there are 6 major geological faults

.and 5 volcanic cones. Landslides were a feature of the construction.



Several scientists had been exploring the control of the mosquitoes , and the transmission of yellow fever, dengue, Zika virus, and so vigorous measures were put in place to clean up dirty water and managed to eradicate yellow fever.. Roosevelt had been the US President during this construction which was completed in 1914. He was a bit disappointed that the war in Europe somewhat overshadowed the opening of the canal on 14th August 1914.



1200 hrs 836 nautical miles to Huatulco.



Friday 20th January



Sea day.



Continue to sail parallel to Centra American coast. Central American countries - Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize Mexico.



Douglas Field and another of his Geographical talks - The Central American Volcanic Arc.



There is a chain of mountains from Alaska to Antarctica, the western backbone of all the Americas. It begins with the Brooks Range, on to The Yukon, the Rockies, Sierra Madre through Central America and then the Andes from Colombia to the tip of S America. The Andean Cordillera from Panama to Cape Horn is the longest range on earth, 4500 miles. It’s highest peak is Agongcagua ( Chile/Argentina border) at 22,841 feet, 6962 m., near Santiago.



The San Andreas Fault in California is a sliding plate that continues to be active.



Ecuador has 55 active volcanoes.



Panama’s highest mountain is Balin at 11,398 feet. It last erupted in 1550 and you can see both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans from the top.



The Pacific plate, Cocos plate and Nazco plate meet where the mountains have been raised



There are lots of musical options of live music to go to and we went to hear Piano a Deux, 4 hands play from Brooklyn to Broadway late afternoon. Wish we’d gone to earlier shows, they were very good. He had been a music teacher apparently. His wife seemed much younger, but both were extremely talented, no music. Entertaining little stories to go with music.



Captains note, relaxing restrictions in self service restaurant, can serve self and help selves to teas, coffees, etc. reductions in Gastroenteritis. Hand washing continues to be high priority, no relaxing in these requirements.





Saturday 21st January



Huatulco. Mexico.



Roger up early as usual! Excited to see where we were and pleased moored starboard side to quay( our side!) so can see pier and beaches. Looks interesting little town.

Roger off on trip, Land and Sea. I had booked but after enquiring about access and amount of walking decided not to go.

I went to see film instead. Had cinema to myself - Thor - complete and utter escapism. Had spoken to Christopher who said was a silly and fun film, he was right, made me laugh a lot and didn’t fall asleep! Those of you who know me well will understand I must have enjoyed it!!!



Roger back about 1 pm and we went ashore together to find some lunch. There was a little golf buggy at the end of the gang plank for assistance to the promenade, so we took advantage of that as the little man managed to get the wheelchair in. He dropped us in the little square along the front . We hoped he’d be around for our return, it would have been quite a long way to walk or to push! (. He was! ).



We walked along the promenade, past endless restaurants either side, on the beach and on the roadside. It was pot luck, they all seemed to serve the same things, so we found an empty table at one and ordered nachos, guacamole, salsa and beers, the recommended typical Mexican dishes. It was delicious, better than in Jamaica, but then we were in the home of the nacho!

We walked along the front, and looked at the souvenirs and local crafts on sale. Roger was quite tired as had had a busy morning so we went back to the ship for him to have a siesta.



Land and Sea Excursion - The group went in the catamaran first which was just along the quayside. There were about 40 onboard and all had life jackets on………until they were outside the harbour when they were told they could remove them once the harbour master couldn’t see them!! Went along the coast into the little bays that were only accessible by sea. Saw dolphins and two stingray which were leaping out of the water, apparently part of their mating ritual.

Back to shore after about an hour, (putting on life jackets before back in harbour of course) and then onto the coach. Along to next town going past high class hotels and marinas, After tour dropped off and taken by foot to a Tequila Bodega for some samples. Tasted 3 different ones, from very high alcohol content to a much more palatable 57% alcohol. The smoky taste is achieved by storage in wooden wine casks. Tequila is made from cactus which is boiled and then crushed. After the tasting they sampled chilli chocolate on tacos and some hot chocolate drink. The tour was completed by a walk around the town and a visit to a church with a mural done by the villagers when the town was small.



Sunday 22nd January.



At sea



There was a talk by the Lateral thinking guy, Paul which Roger went to and then Roger went to the Sunday service in the theatre. I went up to the pool area where I spent time reading in the shade.

Piano a deux performed again in the afternoon, Brahms to Bernstein, which we thoroughly enjoyed. A quick supper at the self service restaurant and then to the cinema to see Elvis for the evening.



Monday 23rd January



21 degrees C at 8am, predicted 27 degreesC



Manzanillo



Trip booked, Manzanillo and Shopping. Depart 9 am.



Onto coach, first stop about 2 minutes away outside the port perimeter. The guide gave us a talk about the old town and told us about the enormous blue sailfish which was on the quayside. We then had 45 mins to spend looking around the shops up the Main Street. We were a bit nonplussed, there was one street which appeared to have lots of clothes shops, sundresses,etc, tourist shops, phone shops and phone accessories.

Back on the coast. The town was one of first from when the Spanish came to this part of Mexico and was the biggest container port on the Pacific coast with a direct route to China. We were driving along the coast road past the container port which was very extensive. All containers fromS S America were red and had to be X-rayed, in 2002 there was massive smuggling of cocaine worth millions of £s. The port is very secure and very big, our guide used to work there and get around on a moped! There was almost 100% employment in the area with the port. Workers did 12 hour shifts for 365 days a year and so could be quite dangerous with workers being tired.

The drive continued apart the port eventually to some built up area where there were urbanisations with hotels and villas. We slowly drove through the estate up some steep inclines until we seemed to be on the top of the cliffs where we stopped for a photo opportunity. Most clambered out to take photos of the marina below and the hotel and beach where the film 10 ( Dudley Moore, Bo Derek) was made in the 70s! This is the towns claim to fame which brought a lot of tourism

We wended our way out of the estate and continued along beach road until we came to what the hide called a flea market, our next shopping opportunity. This was a row of stalls on the beachside selling touristy tat! Fridge magnets, hats, bags, key rings, etc, etc, dresses, tea shirts tops, shorts, another 45 mins stop.

Back on bus, heading back towards town and after a bout 10 mins our final stop at a restaurant cum bar on the beach where we were given vouchers for a drink. Local beer Corona, very good and Roger had a fishy snack to go with it. Back to port and ship. A curious non event of a trip, but I suppose it did what it said on the tin. It was low impact walking and we’d seen shops……

Back on ship for lunch. A chat with Christopher and some messages.

Departed Manzanillo 6.15pm accompanied by dolphins.



3015 miles to go, 7 sea days, following a great circle route. Predicted calm seas average speed of about 16.5 knots to Honolulu on Oahu, one of the Hawaiian Islands.



Tuesday 24th January



8am. 23 degrees C 19 degrees N

Bearing 280 108 degrees W

Speed 17 Knots. Force 4



Steve Johnson’s talk today - The Spanish in the Americas.



Christopher Columbus, Hernan Cortes, Velasquez, Francisco Pizarro, all explorers who came to Mexico and South America and the Caribbean. They all found Native American Indians and their civilisations which were highly developed, but just wanted to plunder them for their gold. As well as this natives had no immunity to the diseases brought by the Europeans and many died.

Lots of new vegetables were discovered I. The New World, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, rubber, vanilla, chocolate, tobacco.

The history of the Aztecs and the Incas among others was covered in some depth and continues to fascinate me.



What happened to the captains predicted light airs for our journey? Rather cool today. Only 20 degrees!



The show this evening was the Headliners performing Magic Moments, the life story of Burt Bacharach and his wonderful music. The company’s performance was an exceptionally high standard, certainly worthy of the West End. .



Wednesday 25th January



Sea day



Steve Johnson’s talk today - Pacific Marine Mammals.



California Sea Otters, find as far as Alaska. Spend whole life at sea. Sea urchins one of favourite foods, good thing. Keeps the sea urchin population down.

Harbour seals, Californian sea lions, dolphins, harbour porpoise, Orca, also known as killer whale but just a big dolphin. A variety of whales, grey whale, sperm whale, blue whale and humpback whale.

Likely to see humpback whales in Hawaii as there at this time of year with calves.



I gave the next speaker a miss, but Roger came saying what an exceptional chap he was. Ben McBean who had been in the Commandos in Afghanistan until he had been blown up. Had lost most of one leg to over the knee, the left arm up to the elbow but had survived, physically, mostly emotionally and mentally. He’ll talk again so I look forward to hearing him.



Spent some time in Crows nest lounge doing some knitting. Finally mastering the pattern after several attempts!



12.00 film - The Good House, Sigourney Weaver. Good story, mostly good film…..only fell asleep for short time!



2.30 Haircut. Think I had the most inexperienced girl there, she trimmed it as I requested but wasn’t very familiar with UK blow drying methods and I was pleased to get back to the cabin to attempt to sort it out. Such a fussy person am I !



Formal night tonight, also Burns night, so maybe Dining Room will do something special. Also have Cocktail Party invitation for after supper for Peninsular Club loyalty group. Busy evening?

Went for an early supper at 6 pm and indeed they did find a piper and pipe the Haggis around the Dining room at 7pm and then read the poem. The menu reflected Burns night too, with a stater of haggis,( small portion of neeps and tatties and haggis) and Cranachan as a pudding.

We then adjourned to the Crows Nest lounge bar for cocktails and brief greetings with ships officers. Free flowing drinks available, but not a cocktail in site. Captain did little speech and Loyalty manager who announced there was one lady onboard who had accumulated 2400 nights with. P&O!

It had been a cool day. Winds were coming from Nwesterly , no sun to speak of.

Roger developed a pain in his knee,



Thursday 26th January.



Sea day



Roger haircut 8 am. Just about scalped him! Looks a bit like a convict. Oh well, it’ll grow. Captain said winds will continue to come from the N and so weather continue to be cooler, with heavier cloud cover. Not complaining….. could be in England!



Doughie’s talk about Polynesia

Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia covers the islands of the Pacific, mostly in the S Hemisphere, but includes Hawaii, just N of the equator.

Where did these people come from? Scientists have managed to examine DNA and conclude that originally peoples came from Taiwan area about, via Papua New Guinea about 4000 BC. About1500 BC migrated across to Fiji. They moved east about 1200 years ago, on to the Society Islands which includes Tahiti in a first big swathe, then some 200 years later a group went N to the Hawaiian islands, then to N Zealand and some across to Easter Island( Rapa Nui) . All had a common heritage.

How did they travel so far? They had constructed canoes with an extended arm for balance. These were made bigger and bigger until they could carry up to 100 people with provisions and livestock. They knew of the wind patterns and sea currents and used the stars as a compass.

All this knowledge was passed on and learned by succeeding generations.

They were aware of the birds and their migratory patterns. (The shearwater has the longest migratory route in the world. It nests in New Zealand, flies to S America, along coast to California, then to Hawaii and back to New Zealand.)

The first Europeans to Tahiti island came in the 1760s, with Captain Welles in 1761, followed by Captain Bourgainville 9 months later who claimed the island for France ( after whom the plant Bourganvillia is named) Still a French protectorate.

Captain Cook arrived in 1769.

Easter Island is famous for its enormous statues dotted around the island. It now belongs to Chile, who is allowing the indigenous people to claim back their heritage after really strict rule. The airports is bringing in tourists and the islanders are eco Ming more prosperous after the Europeans nearly wiped them out.



Today we had a Round The World lunch. Again free flowing wine with a lovely 5 course lunch but today I was more restrained! Met more interesting people at lunch. A lady on her own whose husband wasn’t fond of cruising so she came on her own. She had recovered from breast cancer a year ago and was celebrating her life.



2 pm. 19 degrees C 21 N

Bearing 279 degrees. 124 W

Lumpy sea, Winds Force 5



Siesta!

Evening show, Mike Appleton as Michel Bubblè. We enjoyed the show.



Friday 27th January



Sea day

8: am 20 degrees C 22 N

Bearing 275 degrees. 130 W

Speed. 16.3 knots



Happy to be at sea but dressed up for the cooler weather , trackie bottoms, long sleeved top and pleased to wear my big black cardigan!



Hawaiian islands and their people is Dougie’s offering today.



Manzanillo is 3323 miles

Australia. 4741 miles

San Francisco. 2393 miles

Tokyo. 4027 miles



Hawaii is made up of of 8 main islands. We are going to Honolulu on Oahu which has the largest waves in the world on North Shore Beach. Kauai is the oldest at 30 million years, the most N westerly, called the Garden Isle.

Lanai is known as the pineapple Isle.

Maui is to the SE of the chain and Hawaii ( the Big Island ) the most South Easterly and the youngest at 10 million years. There is in fact another island forming to the SE of Hawaii under the ocean as the tectonic plates move N over the hot spot above the earths mantle which has formed the islands over time. It is likely to appear in about 100 years.

Hawaii has 2 volcanoes which are still erupting and the island is growing at about 5 feet a day as the lava pours into the sea from Kildawea. Maura Kea is 13,000 feet high and has observatories at the top we’re the temperature can be 0 degrees C. In fact the full height is 32,0000 ft as there are 19,000 ft below sea level.



Saturday 28th January



Sea day

Ben McBean was the speaker again today. He talked about how his life has been since he woke up in military hospital after he was blown up in Afghanistan. Talked about feelings, emotions, and overcoming his thoughts of committing suicide, but keeping going. Very inspirational. Life goes on. He now has little boys who he continues to live for ad his partner.



Roger went to listen to Dougie giving a talk about Mutiny on the Bounty, which happened in the Pacific, the mutineers ending up on Pitcairn Island.



The weather was warmer today and spent the afternoon sitting by the pool, chatting to a couple from Holbeach for a while.



Another black tie evening and another excellent Headliners performance, this time,Destination Dance. Fantastic.



Sunday 29th January



Sea day



10 am. 22 N. Bearing 274 degrees

144 W. Force 4/5

21.5 degrees C



The Pacific War was todays talk from Dougie. Roger went along as very interested. Then he went to the Church service in the theatre. The ship was running with the wind and so it was very pleasant sitting out by the pool, reading, knitting and writing up this blog.




Publishing while waiting my turn to go to immigration. Roger gone on a trip and so I need ships assistance to get off the ship and back on again. Roger gone on a submarine, awaiting info on his return. This eve we’re going to a luau with dancing and supper.




Tomorrow planning to go exploring, probably hop on hop off bus.
Then 5 more sea days to Samoa., and then 1 more sea day to Fiji. Maybe do another blog in about a week when have news.




Thanks for all messages On blog site. Am reading them altho don’t know how to answer in blog! Will what’s app you answers. Photos still beyond me at moment. Will What’s app some of those too. Maybe later.
We are 10 hrs behind you now. Only a few days to crossing the date line.




Love to all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb