Papua and New Guinea


Advertisement
Papua New Guinea's flag
Oceania » Papua New Guinea » Morobe
September 4th 1964
Published: November 1st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Tribal Attire of the Eastern HighlandsTribal Attire of the Eastern HighlandsTribal Attire of the Eastern Highlands

New Guinea tribesman of the Eastern Highlands in traditional attire. Cutural show, Goroka, Papua New Guinea, 1964. IMG01003p1
Traveling to Papua and New Guinea in 1964 was an adventure! I knew something about it from stories I heard or read about World War II battles there. This was only 19 years after the end of the war and memories of it loomed large in the region. Each of the DC-3 aircraft we flew from Port Moresby to Goroka and Lae had its own war story to tell. Our first stop was Goroka in the Eastern Highlands. We stayed at the Hotel New Guinea, a set of Bungalows in a clearing. The indigenous staff were all properly dressed in the British colonial fashion, something like Simla in India. A holdover from the pre-war days, I suppose. Papua New Guinea was an Australian administered territory and would not gain independence until 1975.

We saw a folkloric performance by members of the local Eastern Highlands tribe, though I can't say which one. Papua New Guinea is said to be one of the most language diverse places. A large proportion of the indigenous population lived in traditional dwellings out from town.

The next stop was Lae, famous as a World War II battleground and as the last known stop of Amelia
Lae, New GuineaLae, New GuineaLae, New Guinea

Lae, New Guinea, in 1964. The old Lae Airfield is visible. In the distance are the New Guinea Eastern Highlands. IMG00883p1
Earhart in 1937. A memorial near the airport commemorated her flight. The Lae airport was an important transportation and supply hub for all the Eastern Highlands region. Like in Alaska, Valene had arranged for us to board a TAA cargo flight to make the Goroka-Lae connection. As it happened, noted anthropologist Margaret Mead was speaking in town that night. The group went to hear her lecture, The Future as an Era of Shared Cultures. In the talk, she promoted the idea of a universal second language among the world's peoples. One of the existing natural languages should be adopted, though she stated this should not be English or a European language. She went on to decry the problem of lack of foreign language instruction in American schools. I took issue with her pint, noting that my secondary school in Los Angeles offered French, Spanish and Japanese languages. (I went onto take four years of Spanish in high school and two of French at university.) Nevertheless, it was a never to be forgotten experience to hear this celebrated anthropologist in New Guinea. From Lae, we flew to Sydney for overnight, via Pot Moresby and Brisbane, before proceeding to Fiji.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

TAA DC-3 at GorokaTAA DC-3 at Goroka
TAA DC-3 at Goroka

Trans-Australian Airlines DC-3 VH-SBK at Goroka. TAA Papua New Guinea flights were branded as Bird of Paradise Service. IMG00898p1
TAA Bristol 170 FreighterTAA Bristol 170 Freighter
TAA Bristol 170 Freighter

Trans Australia Airlines Bristol 170-31 Freighter VH-TBB at Lae Airfield in 1965. TAA operations in Papua New Guinea were branded as Sunbird Service with a distinctive livery. The Bristols were used to carry heavy freight, including vehicles and machinery, into the Eastern Highlands. IMG01158p1
Australia Landing CardAustralia Landing Card
Australia Landing Card

Landing card for the return to Australia from Papua and New Guinea. Australia 196402.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb