Day 43 Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
November 10th 2014
Published: November 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As Lou is asleep on the bus, i'm going to (Emily incase you hadnt guessed) give this blog entry a go for her. So todAy we left Kaikoura to head back to Windy Welllington which meant taking the ferry back across to the north island. Before we arrived at Picton ferry port we stopped on route at the largest seal colony in New Zealand for our last glimpse of seals. The bus driver had explained to us previously how seal hunting was one of the countries biggest exports back in the day (mainly in exchange for tea for the British settlers) which means there is now only 10% of the population that there used to be. Very sad.



The ferry journey takes 3 hours from Picton to Wellington which was very uneventful, Lou managed to pretty much read an entire book. Luckily once we arrived in Welly it was a 10 minute bus journey to the hostel which we checked in and had only an hour to our free dinner, which was a delicious chicken noodle salad. This however wasn't satisfying enough for the Italian guy from our bus Damien. He easily convinced us to go to dominos for our second course, you cant complain about a $5 pizza.



In the meantime me and Lou had been in touch with a guy I had met in Queenstown that works for a travel company to sort us out with a campervan. Stupidly we both hadn't realised how popular campervans are in summertime just before Christmas and all the companies we had looked into were either unavailable or super pricey. Luckily Simon sorted us out with a good deal and now we are all sorted for Oz, which is a weight off our shoulders.





The evening we spent in a couple of bars with Beth and Italian Damien where we played pool (I was shockingly bad) and then table football (where I redeemed myself and won). During our pool match a very stinky old drunk hobo looking man started talking to us, claiming he used to be a professional pool player and offering us advice and criticising our game. We moved swiftly to the next bar Mishmosh which Lou wanted to visit after we missed out on our last visit to Welly. Four glasses of red wine later we were definitely ready for bed, unfortunately I didn't get the best nights sleep as windy Wellington really lived up to its name during the night and sounded like a storm outside with the howling winds.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.581s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb