New Zealand All Blacks Rugby Team


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
August 19th 2006
Published: August 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The GridironThe GridironThe Gridiron

Minutes before the Haka performance. All Blacks team are in black,obvious right? The Australian team is in green and yellow.
August 19th All Blacks Game

Today was the first time doing laundry on the road. I am proud to report I managed to keep my whites white, no transfer of color with these loads. The dryer didn’t shrink my clothes either; I’m two for two.

This evening I went to the New Zealand (All Blacks) vs. Australia rugby game. It was a well battled match with New Zealand pulling out ahead in the latter minutes of the game. Final score was 31 to 27. I sat in row H, just 8 rows back from the playing field. Excellent seats!!!

Rugby is a ferocious sport, nearly gladiatorial in nature. The All Blacks is New Zealand’s national team, with a large international following.

I found the ceremonial Haka (Maori Dance) performed by the All Blacks the most interesting part of the game. At the beginning of the game the opposing team is lined up shoulder to shoulder. The All Blacks than rush out and take position in front of their opposition and perform a maori battle dance that is meant to intimidate their opposition. Stomping, chanting, clapping, slapping, contortion of their faces is rhythmically performed for a minute or two. The opposition has no means to answer at this time, their best chance is on the gridiron.

During the performance they chant a number of things but the most veracious /ferocious is “Ka Mate …. Ka Mate…” (It is death…. It is death).

After the game I ate at Verona, a delicious organic/vegan restaurant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Haka from BehindThe Haka from Behind
The Haka from Behind

Imposing right?
The ScrumThe Scrum
The Scrum

The Scrum is similar to a jump ball in basketball. The two team captains lock each other around the shoulder and neck and their teammates pile up together like a huge ameba. The ball is rolled between the two interlocked teams, who are not allowed to touch the ball with their hands. The objective is to push your way over the ball so that it squirts out behind you.
One last group of locals.One last group of locals.
One last group of locals.

Pick me. This was a promotion at halftime. The stadium was filled up with blue signs.
Final ScoreFinal Score
Final Score

The seats were shaking to such an extent with jubilant onlookers that I could not get a still shot.
Team Celebration Team Celebration
Team Celebration

Trophies and champagne for everyone.


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb