Auckland to Cambridge


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
January 16th 2011
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, Jamie kindly fed us to complete bursting point again!!! and dropped us of in Auckland centre for us to catch our pre booked coach to Cambridge, we went straight to the travel agent and double checked our departure time which the Chinese guy behind the counter confirmed as 12.51pm, so off we went to buy a few last minute things we needed and to eat some sushi before our 3hr bus trip.
We returned to the pick up point where we met an angry little Hobbit lookalike, who informed us we had just missed our bus, it had left at 12.15 not 12.51 ARGH!!!! Angrily we decided to go to an internet cafe, print out our details and get our money back from the travel company....now let it be known that walking around with a 20kg backpack in a very hot city after missing your bus quite easily pisses you off!!!
We finally found a cafe, run by a Turkish guy, who ushered us towards some very narrow stairs. We had to lift our backpacks above our heads to squeeze past his shitty revolving card collections. Well up on that floor, about 3m x 3m was around 12 computers and a strong smell of sweat, due to a air temp of around 63.5 degrees and rising.
With sweat pouring off our foreheads we logged into my mail which clearly stated 12.15.....bummer $48 down the drain, because over here if you miss your bus you need to buy a new ticket!!!!
We booked another ticket getting us into Cambridge at 8pm, then settled by the marina, at a cafe until the next bus. so we had some mussels, beer and ice cream, via cranky American tourists.
we hopped on the bus in good time ....finally.
Cambridge.........8pm

we were not really impressed by the nature that flashed by on the way to Cambridge, the bus journey was 3 hrs long, and the suspension was the old leaf spring type, its no fun sitting on a solid bus from 1975, for 3 hrs with no toilet, and we would recommend a sport bra and kidney belt. The bus journey was very slow, i knew when every 10k had passed when the girl two seats in front systematically nodded off and bounced her head off the window!! Maybe next time she should wear a helmet.
We arrived at Cambridge and everything was closed including the tourist information centre, so we picked a direction and walked that way, asking random people if there was a camp-site nearby.
After about 20 minutes walking a lady stopped her car, swung it around and asked us if we where heading to the camp-site. We couldn't refuse!
10 minutes later we arrived there, magic! it was 9.30 pm, so the camp-site guy took advantage of our situation and charged us $32, tosser.
We cooked our 1st outdoor meal, macaroni, tuna and corn.....yummy...............



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

the invasion mapthe invasion map
the invasion map

Battle plans for north island
Cambridge NZCambridge NZ
Cambridge NZ

cambridge is the capitol of horse breeding in NZ, with visitors coming from around the world to buy horses. Olympic champions have been bred in this area.
finally we are in the campsitefinally we are in the campsite
finally we are in the campsite

set off 9am, arrived tired at 10pm. 30k walk in the morning


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb