Sick Days


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
January 12th 2011
Published: January 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Jan. 8 - Jan. 12th, 2011

We climbed down from Meuller Hut and headed out towards Wanaka. This is a sweet little town on a lake. It's very scenic. We camped the night in Wanaka. Chad had developed a nasty head cold. That night was the worst, as he looked pretty bad. Andrew may also be getting this cold. Time will tell. We've taken some extra sick days to heal up, so hopefully all will be alright.
The next day on the 9th we headed out again, bound south. We past through Queenstown, but didn't take any time to look around. The drive though the countryside was very awesome. Some incredible rolling hills and mountain ranges. Most of the towns we come to seem to be located on giant lakes. The water is the bluest that I've come across. We ended up staying in a backcountry hut off the main road, near the town of Te Anau.
On the 10th we took a drive up to Milford Sound. This is an incredible fjord, craved out eons ago by glaciers. This leaves these giant cuts inland, where the ocean can come right in. The cliffs are huge and the mountains are again (as per usual in this country) breathtaking. Most of these pictures are from the drive in and then the sound itself. Very cool stuff.
We camped near Milford Sound and the next day we headed back to the backcountry hut near Te Anau. Tonight the plan is to stay in a hostel and then tomorrow we are heading out on a week long tramp through Dusky Sound. This will be one of the harder tracks we do, but it should also be one of the coolest. I'm looking forward to it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th January 2011

beautiful country
Good luck on this next big tramp. The pictures are beautiful , well worth any aches or pains you have. Stay healthy and be safe. miss you both.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb