Doubful Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
February 8th 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pics to follow!

Got collected by bus at just before 9am (yes - even on a Sunday!) - and drove the 20k to Lake Manapouri. From there we took a catamaran style boat across the lake. Now this is no ordinary lake - it is 55 square miles in size and has a shoreline of 106 miles, 34 islands within it and is the second deepest lake in NZ at 444 metres. Water temperature is 2 degrees - so not ideal for swimming....

50 minutes later our skipper safely delivered us next to the Manapouri Power Station (more of that later)... But first a little amusement about our journey. As we boarded the boat there was the usual tourist rush to get to the open deck. Being civilsed brits abroad we smiled sweetly through gritted teeth and headed for the more civilised area under cover. As we left the skipper did warn there there were gusty conditions on the lake and to ensure all loose items of clothing and belongings were secured - hates, glasses and toupe's. Sure enough half way across the lake the wind picked up and the grinning sun-worshipers on the top deck got absolutely drenched
Doubful SoundDoubful SoundDoubful Sound

Difficult to get a sense of perspective...
as the boat hit the waves and the spray (and most of the waves) went right over the top deck. Very shortly the drowned rats joined the sensible people on the deck below. I know you shouldnt laugh at others misfortune... but we did! So funny!!!

So - back to the day - we disembarked the boat and headed on to the coach which would take us over the Wilmot Pass. This is one of NZ most remote roads and climbs 670m above sea level and stretches (or should I say winds) 22km. It is said to be the most expensive road in NZ - build in the mid 1960's at a cost of $5 per inch (they underestimated the work, weather and remoteness of the location quite considerably). It is a gravel track - anything greater in description would be inaccurate! It has a gradient of 1 in 5 which makes it NZ steepest tourist road.

The scenery across the pass is amazing - the fiordland is covered in a temperate rain forest where weather conditions are unpredictable. Temperatures can range from 0 to 30 within the space of an hour, winds can reach 170 km/hr and it is one of the wettest places on earth with 200 rain days per year (5290mm)

On arriving at Deep Cove, the start of Doubtful Sound we boarded another catamaran style boat - and set sail. We cruised around the Sound for around 3 hours - going out as fas as the Nee Islets as the Sound meets the Tasman Sea. Words cannot describe the scenery, beautiful and remote is the best I can manage. Hopefully the pictures will speak for themselves.

After returning over the Wilmot Pass we stopped off at the Manapouri Power station - where the coach took us down the tunnel, 2km long, 1 in 10 steep to 176m below the mountain. From the viewing platform we were able to see the 7 turbines and transformers that use the water from the lake to generate electricity. Even if you are not interested in engineering - it is worth the trip down just for the experience.

Finally arrived back at the campsite at around 6,30pm. Well worth the long day.

Strangely - nobody ventured onto the top deck for the return boat journey. I wonder why.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb